Exported from Final Cut. Looks deformed in TV.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 66217, May 23, 2008.

1. 66217 Guest

Hi,

I'm having trouble to make a movies made with Final Cut Express look correctly in my widescreen TV.

For some reason when I insert the DVD to my MacBook the DVD looks great. But when I insert it to the DVD player, the video looks deformed in my TV. It misses the far left and right sides of the video (cuts them out).

Here are some preferences I used for this video.

Thanks for any help.:)

Attached Files:

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think the problem is coming from how HDV is encoded. HDV has a rexolution of (1440x1080) instead of 1920x1080 meaning that the program has to stretch it out to be the right aspect ration.

Can you go to the advanced tab of the quicktime export and take a screenshot? I might be able to figure out what is going on better.

Also, what are you using to encode and burn? iDVD? Toast? Are you trying to burn a high def. DVD? Because those won't work in standard players.

P-Worm

3. 66217 thread starter Guest

Isn't that the one in the left? I have Final Cut Express, maybe you are thinking of Final Cut Pro?

Is there a difference from using the Apple Intermediate Codec and the Anamorphic Setup?

Also, when choosing the compression, there are many options. Which one is the best? H.264 the video looks horrible.

Thanks a lot for the help.:)

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think the key here is to play with the options in the "size" button. You want your output file to be 1280x720.

P-Worm

5. 66217 thread starter Guest

Thanks P-worm, it work correctly now.:)

I think I am starting to understand a bit more about FCE and widescreen TVs. The only thing that keeps bugging me is what does Anamorphic means, and why are there so many option to choose from when making the movie. But hopefully with time I'll understand it.

Again, thanks a lot!

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Anamorphic is a way of getting widescreen video from a file that is a standard format. You squish the widescreen video (16:9) into a standard frame (4:3) and then add a little flag to the file that tells Final Cut Express/Pro to 'stretch' the video back out so it looks correct.

The problem can come when exporting because you don't specify you want it stretched out again.

Glad you got it.

P-Worm