Exporting 2.35:1 video from Final Cut Pro 6 to quicktime file.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by StephenCampbell, Sep 10, 2011.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I know that I know how to do this, but I haven't used the program in a while, and I'm a little rusty.

I have a twenty minute sequence in Final Cut Pro 6, which I want to export into a high quality but low-size quicktime file, in which there will be no black above or below the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. In the canvas in FCP obviously it has black above and below because the canvas is 4:3.. but as a quicktime file I don't want any black bars on the top or bottom, there's no need for them. And I want it to be descent resolution/bitrate, but not taking up more than 400 or 500mb. When I just did "export - quicktime movie" it was 5.5GB or something.. so I know I need to use quicktime conversion, but I'm just not sure how to do this optimally or how to instruct it in the correct aspect ratio without scrunching the whole thing from top to bottom.

Thanks!

2. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

I figured it out. For anyone who's curious, I just went into the sequence settings, and custom set the frame size to 720x304, which is the resolution of the video I initially put in the sequence. Now when I export it in quicktime at "current size" it exports it at 640x304, and it has very small black bars on the top and bottom and the video has the exact same ratio as 720x304 (i.e. if I extend the player horizontally until it's 720 instead of 640, then the vertical image (minus the black bars) will be 304.

Thanks!

edit: Oh, and I had to re-render the whole sequence after making the pixel change in the canvas.