Exporting files from FCP 7 for DVD Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by yolatechno, May 18, 2015.

1. yolatechno macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've got a very long project (a one hour film) that has been cut in FCP 7. I'm need to burn the film to a DVD, but none of the formats I've exported are working with DVD Studio Pro. They play in Simulator but fail to build. I also need a smaller version of the file to upload to an FTP site.

Can anyone recommend:

1) A format that is compatible with DVD studio Pro
    2) An method of exporting the file so that it is under 10 GBS?

The original footage and sequence is:
    1920 x 1080, XDCAM EX 1080p25

The export settings I've used so far (which havent worked) are:

Quicktime movie => current settings (file was 15.6GB)
    quicktime conversion => QUicktime movie => HDV1080i50 (file was 12.6GB)
    quicktime conversion => MP4 => MP4 Improved, 1920 x 1080 HD (file was 1.6GB, poor quality)

The settings in DVD studio pro are HD DVD PAL.

Thank you for any help!

2. ColdCase, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

If I recall correctly, I had to use compressor to create the DVD video and audio for DVDSP.... or maybe I used compressor because of its flexibility when shrinking video to fit DVDs. I used the FCP export to compressor function.... then created video and audio files that I imported into DVDSP. I had some custom settings for squeezing long length home video into a single side DVD (~4.5 GB).

Compressor has several built in settings that will compress as much as you like. Didn't FCP7 come with the compressor app?... I don't recall.

Are you exporting from FCP7 with chapter markers?

Your HD movies on DVD are not going to look as good as the original, but should look pretty good.

3. MSastre macrumors regular

MSastre

Save a master file of your timeline to the desktop. Use Compressor's DVD settings to convert the master file into an mpeg-2 and ac-3 file for importing into DVDSP to make the DVD. Best to save results as a disc image before burning. Compressor can also use the same master file to tweak for FTP.