Exporting from iMovie to Final Cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Wally Sean, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Wally Sean macrumors newbie

I started making a movie on iMovie 6.03 about a week ago, but now it appears it's too large to work in iMovie. I have Final Cut Pro 2 HD (why I didn't use that from the beginning God knows) and the footage I shot works fine on it, but it would rewquire me to re-edit averything I had preciously done, which was a lot. I now iMovie 7 has a feature where you can export your movie right to Final Cut, but I don't want to shell out the $80 to find it doesn't work with my version of Final Cut. Does anybody know if it will? Or is there an evnen easier/cheaper way?

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

I assume you've tried to Import the file into FC?

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

can you go into final cut and select the imovie project and FC will do the rest or right click on the file and open with option....

4. Goodactor macrumors newbie

Why not just share as QT file and import into FCP?

:confused:
    I Often go back and forth between the two as I use some Plug ins foe Imovie. The only drawback is rendering again and of course re-balance of sound but it works fine. The other thing you might consider is saving the audio separate withcompressor and making "Dolby tracks". Not truly the best way but it will simulate the sound and if you want to use DVD studio pro then you can truly go Dolby. Happy Editing!

5. Wally Sean thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys. turns out i don't need to worry to much this time because the movie itself has fallen apart. but i'll keep your advice in mind for next time