Exporting from Windows Thunderbird to Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Poff, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Hi,

my mother is about to get a Mac, and of course she'll want her mail preserved. The easiest method I have come up with from Thunderbird (windows) to mail.app (Mac) are these two steps:

1. transfer from thunderbird (win) to thunderbird (mac)
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders

2. import from thunderbird (mac) to mail.app
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Export_to_Mail.app

Are there any other, simpler (and still free) ways to do this?

thanks in advance. :)

™

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

other than get rid of step #2, there is no easier way, yours is already pretty easy.

3. desertratr macrumors newbie

Doesn't work exactly

I downloaded the Eudora Mailbox Cleaner and dropped my TB Mail folder onto the icon. I processed 497 messages in 19 folders, and concluded with a message telling me to Rebuild the mail boxes. I launched Mail, and didn't find the mail boxes. There was Inbox, and two Comcast mail boxes. I rebuilt both of them, but nothing seemed to happen. Any idea what I did wrong?

4. johto macrumors 6502

johto

You could try to export them somehow to a gmail, then from gmail to mail :)

5. osiris24x macrumors member

osiris24x

I just used it tonight and it put the resulting messages under "On My Mac" into a strangely named folder, under "Imported". Worked great. Try clicking all the disclosure triangles in Apple Mail to make sure you're seeing everything. You should see an "Imported" folder in there somewhere.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You could just get rid of step #2. That way she'll be running Thunderbird for Mac. Something she will already be familiar with and is far superior to Apple Mail. Familiarity is very important to non-tech people.

Other than that it's not going to get any easier. You could set her up with an IMAP e-mail service. Then transfer all her stored mail onto the IMAP servers. That way everything is available from any device and any moves, changes, deletions, &c are reflected everywhere.

7. aaronwitt macrumors newbie

Another option

Another option that I used for converting to Mac Mail was ConvertMyEmail, www.convertmyemail.com. It wasn't free, but it everything imported easily to Mail.

8. jhonstone macrumors newbie

Easy Way to export from Windows Thunderbird to Mac mail

You can use CataSoftware Thunderbird Converter. This tool is advance method to easily export email data from Thunderbird to Mac Mail. I also handled it so I am confirm about its simple processing. You can also go with Thunderbird Converter to Mac Mail. http://www.thunderbirdtomacmail.catasoftware.com/

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Thanks but when you look at the dates, you are responding to a couple of 9 month old posts which were in turn responding to a thread which had gone asleep 5 years ago. :eek:

Apple had dumbed down mail.app so much in Mavericks that I'm thinking of bringing back Thunderbird, even though TB doesn't seem to get updated any more. I'm curious to find out how things worked out for the earlier posters in this thread but I think they are all long gone by now.