Exporting HD movie to Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by calimed, May 9, 2009.

1. calimed macrumors member

So here's my situation.....(I've searched high and low)

I recently bought a Canon SD960 that has HD recording.

After I import the movie I want it to play on Apple TV. It imports at 720p and 30 fps. I know apple won't play hd at 30 fps, so I used quicktime to convert it to 24fps. After I did this the video became REAL choppy. If I use the Apple TV conversion in iMovie 09' it takes it down to non-hd quality. Does anyone have any ideas how to get this all to work.

On as side note does anyone know what framerate the HD itunes movies play at. I ask b/c I don't feel they are choppy at all.

Thanks to anyone.....

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure you need to import it as 960x540. Then it will play just fine on the ATV. It's the resolution, not the framerate that is the issue. Well, it is the framerate, but obviously changing a 30fps video to a 24fps one is going to cause it to look choppy, so you need to change the resolution in order to stay within the ATV's specs.

3. calimed thread starter macrumors member

If I take it down to 960x540 it obviously won't be HD anymore...How can apple have hd movies (at 24 fps I assume) and them not be choppy then?

4. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Because almost almost all major motion pictures are shot at 24 fps in ntsc (25 fps for pal).