Exporting HD video from iMovie for Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lbeck, Jun 2, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

What is the best export method (file type and settings) for exporting HD video to be converted using Handbrake? I use handbrake to convert my HD video to be played on my iPad. And I want to edit the video first in iMovie, then export the movie to handbrake to be converted to play on my iPad.

My biggest concern is exporting from iMovie, I want the best possibly quality. Any help from your experience is appreciated. Thanks!

2. hatetea58 macrumors newbie

The following video setting u can try:

Video:
    Codec: h.264
    Size: 768*576
    BitRate: 4000kbps
    FrameRate: 30.00fps

Audio:
    Codec: aac
    SamplerRate: 48000hz
    BitRate: 128000bps
    Channel: 2

3. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

My only concern is the size, 768x576. i'm wanting to keep it at te highest quality it can be so it needs to be at least 1024x768, or something close. I'd like to keep it in HD.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Handbrake is not suited to convert to editable formats. H264 and AAC are not meant for editing.

Use MPEG Streamclip to convert your HD video to a .mov (CMD+E) file using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) and choose UNCOMPRESSED for audio.
    First check the resolution and frame rate of the source HD video via QuickTime Player and its Movie Inspector (CMD+I) to apply the right settings.

Screenshots:

Before transcoding to AIC, QuickTime Movie Inspector:
    [​IMG]

MPEG Streamclip export (transcoding) settings:
    [​IMG]

After transcoding to AIC, QT Movie Inspector:
    [​IMG]

iMovie, import dialog:
    [​IMG]