Exporting iMovie HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bryanall, May 7, 2009.

1. bryanall macrumors newbie

Using iMovie HD V5.0.2, is there any way, after importing and editing, to export the video back into the camera?
    With iMovie V3.0.3 this is not a problem, I just go to File and select either Import or Export from the drop down menu. bva

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

3. bryanall thread starter macrumors newbie

Camcorder

Hi, the camcorder is a Sony DCR-VX2100E connected to an Apple Mac G5.

4. bryanall thread starter macrumors newbie

Next Problem

Hi, I have recently installed iMovie11. When my Sony DCR-VX2100E is connected to the Mac Pro iMovie11 tells me the camera is not connected. Settings are correct. The camera is not listed in the compatibility list. As these cameras are more than $3k I'm reluctant to replace it. Is there anyway I can make iMovie recognise it? Any advice is welcomed. bva

5. xStep macrumors 68000

Is there a "Share" menu item. If so look for "Video Camera" under that. I only have iMovie HD 6.0.4 to look at, so perhaps it's different.

As for your second question, re-read the manual. The few times I had to deal with a Sony camera, I recall some funky setup that had to be done. That was an HDV camera. Perhaps iMovie 11 just doesn't like it. I'd first prove to my self that the camera works with iMovie 5 as far as importing goes, then quit iMovie 5 and start up iMovie 11. At least then you'd have some confidence that the camera is ready to go for an import.

6. bryanall thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi xStep,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Camcorders: Sony DCR-2100E uses Mini DV tapes
    Sony PC-110 also uses Mini DV Tapes, both are interchangeable

Computers: Mac Pro 2.66GHz OSX10.5.8
    Mac G4 Powerbook

Application: iMovieHD 5.0.2

I have been editing video on these two systems for ages, no problems whatsoever. A couple of weeks ago I shot 25mins video on the 2100E. Came home, connected 2100E to Mac Pro, opened iMovie5.0.2. 2100E connected to iMovie immediately and imported video footage (5.9GB) no problem.
    Edited footage and added music. Tried to export edited footage back to tape in camera. Message read "No camera attached". Followed recommended procedures for troubleshooting, still no connection.

Substituted 2100E for PC-110 handycam and fitted new blank Mini DV Tape. Message still showed "No Camera Attached".

Uninstalled iMovie from Mac Pro and reinstalled from disc. Went through whole procedure again, still same results. Unable to establish any camera connection to iMovie 5.0.2

Burnt edited footage to 2 x 4.7GB discs using 2.5GB and 2.9GB (have always used DVD-R without any problems). Booted up Powerbook G4 and imported video files from discs to desktop. Opened iMovie 5.0.2 and imported video files from desk top, no problem. Connected 2100E to Powerbook, message read "Camera Connected". Clicked Share button from drop down menu. Dialogue box opened showing progress bar saying "Preparing to Export"

Next minute message read "Connection Lost". Substituted 2100E for PC-110. Had precisely the same result several times. This just kept happening all the time.

I then created new iMovie Projects on both the Mac Pro and Powerbook. Tried to establish 2100E connection. Would not connect. Same result with PC-110.

That said, I have now upgraded the Mac Pro to OSX10.6.6 and to iMovie11.
    I am still unable to get a connection to iMovie, and the DCR-VX2100E is not on the list as being compatible. I was also told that iMovie11 does not have an "Export to Camera" or "Share" feature. iMove6 was the last version to have that feature.bva

7. xStep macrumors 68000

That's a lot. Yes, iMovie HD 6 was the last version to have export back to the camera. To do it now, you would have to move up to Final Cut Express I believe.

I've seen others have camera connection problems too, with apparently no resolve.

Things to check. First, use System Profiler to see if the camera is listed under your firewire devices. Open that after connecting a camera and turning it on.

Consider the PRAM and NVRAM resets. Search Apple to find out how to do that for your particular machine. If those settings get messed up, it has been known to mess up things.

Consider any updates to your system as the potential turn of doom here. This includes the OS, any types of extensions, especially for QuickTime, or other software you may have loaded.

Lastly, using really old software with a newer OS potentially may not work properly. That is just a warning. I have no idea if this is anything of an issue here. Sounds like it worked fine until some arbitrary date.

8. bryanall thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks xStep. I'll certainly check out your suggestions. I have tried the firewire cable on another firewire device, so I know it's not a faulty cable,bva

9. bryanall thread starter macrumors newbie

Firewire connection

It looks as though this issue is finally resolved. I found an intermittent fault with the front firewire cable connection on the Mac Pro. Possibly the card? As a last resort I thought I would try the rear Firewire connection and bingo, everything worked.

That still doesn't explain why I had similar issues when I used the Powerbook. Many thanks to all. bva

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Could be the cable?

11. bryanall thread starter macrumors newbie

iMovie

Hi Consultant,
    Sorry, should have mentioned I did try another cable, same results.

The Mac Pro has now gone in for a check up. Probably be about a week I expect. I'll post the findings after I get it back. bva