Exporting iMovie to external Hard Disc

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mudshark, Nov 14, 2009.

1. mudshark macrumors newbie

I shot 2 hours worth of HDV with a Sony HVR V1U camecorder at 1080-30p. Tried like hell to capture with Final Cut 3. Didn't work. Called Sony guys and Apple guys and Nada! In desparation, I tried with iMovie and bingo ! It worked. But now it's an iMovie project format and I want to export the project via Quicktime in order to use it with FC. I know how to do it but the "Share" menu stays inactive. I can see the clips in the timeline but not in the other window where it says to drag your clips. (God... I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys..)

Anyway, maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about.

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

The lower section of iMovie is the library of media and the top is the project time line. As far as I know you can't just export from the library you have to drag media to the project time line then export the project.

3. mudshark thread starter macrumors newbie

At last, I found the problem. Well, it's not really a problem, it's more ignorance on my part... I'm using iMovie O8 which is different from the one I remembered. So it turns out that in the right lower corner, there's a selector that has to be set at "All" to reduce the nomber of clips in the window, in order to activate the "Share" menu... So there you go...

Then another thing came up (there's always something else right ?) I can't find an HD Codec in the Quicktime export so I settled for Apple intermediate and hopefully, I'l be able to upconvert the footage back to its full resolution...
    Iv'e had my load of problems with this camera. It's for sale as of today... I'm buying an XDCAM with the memory cards. Used it a couple of time and it's just fantastic !!

G'day mates