Exporting in iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thomamon, Nov 8, 2011.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Just curious if anyone knows about exporting in iMovie...

If you want to export at the same quality of the video that you edited, how would you do that?

What I did was convert an

The project I just edited is allowing me to m2ts to a mp4. I then edited it and now I am exporting. I would like it compatible with all of my apple devices(iPhone, iPad 2 and Apple TV 2). The highest resolution it is telling me I can export at is 720p, but that doesn't have the Apple TV suggested in the settings. If I select large and play it back on my Apple TV, will it look the same quality or will I lose anything?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Selecting large will lose pixel resolution over the HD720 or 1080 options. Using that built in exporter also compresses audio to a pretty low setting and you'd be far better off using "Export Using QuickTime" and customizing your options from there, including sound.

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So how can I keep the exact settings the way the mp4 went into iMovie as? That looks super sharp/high quality before editing. Would like to keep it that way.

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I keep trying different settings and its saying it will take 8-10 hours to export a 35 minute file???

5. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I get similar estimates. Editing and exporting a 1 hour video in iMovie 11, export to 1080p iMovie (Pro Res) took 9 hours, and export to QuickTime (H 2.64) was estimated to be 19 hours.

Is there a way to speed this up?

6. careypo macrumors member

Take a look at the Activity monitor application. Is your CPU maxed out? Is the disk drive activity maxed out? H.264 video is hard on iMovie because it causes it to access the hard drive frequently. You might want to invest in an SSD drive for your computer as it will speed up file access.

7. brandondm macrumors newbie

Im also having a similar issue. Not so much with the exporting time, but what Ive done is making a short Quicktime screen recording for doing simple tutorials. When I stop the screen recording the .mov goes to my desktop. I can open that and it looks very clear. BUT when I import into into iMovie or iMovie HD it is very very blurry to the point you cant read anything onscreen. Ive tried multiple Save As options from Quicktime as well as multiple Export/Share options from iMovie and every time I export the movie, its very blurry even at the highest res settings available.

What is it that Im missing because this has to be a video compression issue right? Strange thing is that the CLEAR .mov from Quicktime is about 20MB, and when I import to iMovie and export with higher res settings, it ends up being a 900MB blurry video.

8. carlgo macrumors 68000

I'm not sure something like iMovie should be anything but easy to export to AppleTv. What is with all this nerdy conversion stuff? Is this an incomplete program? What is it good for if you can't see it on your ATV of all things! And a day to change over to whatever acronym silly arse yet-another-bunch-of-letters-and-numbers-strung-together format! Sounds like a disgrace to me.

I am only interested because I will soon be getting a camera that does video, but I absolutely refuse to give in to excess BS to produce decent, simple videos that are sharp and have great sound.