Exporting Iphone 4 video from FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeheenan, Mar 26, 2011.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I shot a bunch of footage at a KISS concert on my Iphone 4. I converted all the footage to Apple ProRes before importing into FCS for editing. I am in the middle of cutting it all together, and I'm wondering what would be the proper compression to output at the same quality as the original files, HD720p30?

2. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone help? I outputted at HD720p, and the file ended up being around 11gb. This was for 40 minutes of footage. The total file size of the original clips is about 4gb. I then tried outputting a Quicktime movie with h264 at a 3500kb bit rate with multipass, but the resulting file was too pixellated compared to the original.

3. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Export your video via Quicktime export in Final Cut (Go to Export and click QuickTime on the top of the list) -> Use the ProRes Settings.
    After this, open up Apple Compressor and take the iPhone 4 preset to compress your ProRes file into a much smaller file (around 1GB).
    This will allow you to watch it on AppleTV, iPhone 4, Quicktime, etc...

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Since the video came in at Apple Pro Res 720p30, it would only make sense to export a quicktime .MOV at those settings if you want the closest resolution however it depends what you're doing with it. If it's going to web you will have to sacrifice size and quality so that it can stream. What's your ultimate goal for where the video will end up?

5. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll just be watching it on my laptop or maybe the HDTV, so I'd like to keep it at the same quality as it was shot. I'm just not sure about the correct settings to output. I'll try seisend's advice and see how that works out.

6. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

I followed seisend's advice with Compressor, and chose the Iphone 4/Ipad setting which had a bitrate of 10000, and the file size is now the same as the original files. Thanks for the tip!