Exporting .mov - Wrong Aspect Ratio Every Time

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lappe767, Jun 17, 2008.

1. lappe767 macrumors newbie

I'm exporting my clips and they are never the same aspect ratio when I view them in Quick Time. After capture, I'll drag the video to the time line, make my trims, then Export Quicktime command, keeping the current settings. After export I'll check file info on both original and exported, they both have the exact settings, so shouldn't they look the same? They never do :(

This one had a regular 4:3 ratio, but after export it's a bit wide.

[​IMG]

Original is 16:9 but after export it's smaller and stretched.

[​IMG]

Both exported files in the pics are the same size. If exporting and keeping the setting exactly the same on export, and reviewing the video specs which are identical to the original file, shouldn't they look the same? :confused:

If I import them into Final Cut they are the correct aspect ratio, will this matter at all or am I doing something wrong, or losing any quality? Just like to get it right before I capture over 80 hours of video for archiving purposes. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Galapp macrumors regular

I am having the same problems... god knows why S:

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

nothing is wrong with your video... QT doesn't read the pixel aspect of those exported videos. that's why it looks fine when you bring it back into FCP.

if you are exporting for final viewing (for web/computer), then you should specify a square pixel aspect resolution like 640x480 for 4:3 or 854x480 for 16:9.

DVDs will encode with the proper aspect ratio once the video is flagged in the authoring program like DVDSP.