Exporting on FCE using Quicktime Conversion for iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bonzobeat86, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bonzobeat86 macrumors newbie

I am exporting a FCE project to iDVD to burn a 40 minute DVD. The camera I used was a Standard Definition Sony, and I taped on MiniDV.

What FCE exporting settings and iDVD settings do you recommend for the best quality?

I believe I used these settings at the time:

FCE>File>Export>Using Quicktime Conversion>Video Settings>
    Format: H.264
    Motion Frame Rate: Current fps
    Keyframes: Every 15
    Compressor Quality: Best
    Encoding: Best Quality
    Data Rate: Automatic
    Optimized for: Download (This wouldn't let me change it to CD/DVD)

iDVD
    Video: NTSC
    Encoding: Professional Quality
    Video Type: Single-Layer
    Burn Speed: 1x

The DVD playback was very disturbing. Anytime there was motion and especially when the camera panned, there were wavy lines on the screen. The picture looked unprofessional.

How do I fix this?

I'm pretty good in FCE, but have little knowledge of compression and encoding and interlacing VS. progressive. It's foreign to me. All I want is a video that does not have wavy lines when the camera moves.

Any help is welcome!

Thanks,
    Mike

2. bonzobeat86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Time Constraint

PS, I only have 24 hours to finish this project. Any help at all would be awesome!

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

No no no... :cool:

Don't export using "quicktime conversion." Just export the file as the native "quicktime movie" and drag it into iDVD.

Do not deinterlace, don't use another codec, or change the framerate... you're making things complex where it doesn't need to be.

When you play back the DVD on your Mac, you might see the interlaced "lines", but when you play it on a TV it will look perfect.

4. bonzobeat86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it looks.

Mike

5. bonzobeat86 thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked using your suggestion huntercr, thanks. Only problem though is that it formatted to 4:3 for some reason but the sequence is in 16:9. I don't see in the settings how to change this. I think it may be default, but I find that hard to believe.

Thoughts?

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If your sequence was 16:9 originally, a full-quality QT export from FCE would match the sequence settings, so I think the problem is in your iDVD settings...

When you first created the project in iDVD, did you select the "16:9 Widescreen" option in the Create Project pop-up? Its default selection is 4:3. You can also change this setting later by clicking Project --> Switch to Widescreen (16:9).

7. bonzobeat86 thread starter macrumors newbie

CaptainChunk,

Sorry for the late response. Yes, I did set the iDVD project in the 16:9 format. But the video was smushed to 4:3 before I brought it over to iDVD. It became 4:3 using this recommendation: "Don't export using "quicktime conversion." Just export the file as the native "quicktime movie" and drag it into iDVD."

The video quality was best using this suggestion, but then the video was exported in 4:3.

Is there a way to change exporting settings in "quicktime movie" as opposed to "using quicktime conversion"?

8. huntercr macrumors 65816

Bonzo, try this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2179

Also, on a different topic but one I know will come up for you: how to add Chapter Markers

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/compression_chapter_markers_stone.html

9. eagles58 macrumors newbie

@huntercr

hey do you know what this deal is:

my camera is HD and records supposedly in 1920 x 1080 but it says that the native dimensions could not be found so its using current dimensions (these are 531x298 ) if using quicktime conversion, should i change the dimensions to 1920x1080 or whatever the camera supposedly records in?