Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
i have a few pics and videos on my iphone. when i start up iphoto 08 it recognizes my device but when i click on the phone there aren't any pictures showing up.

is there a setting i need to enable to do this ?

djrobx

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Did you upgrade from a 2G or 3G by any chance?

Mine was even worse - the iPhone device simply didn't show up. Something clearly went wrong in the transfer from my old phone. Each time I connected it to iTunes I got a "Send debug info to apple?" question.

I restored the phone to factory settings, and now my photo export is working normally.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
I didn't see you mention it. Have you rebooted the iPhone? Hold the Sleep/Wake button + Home button until you see the Apple logo (when you see the slide to power off screen, keep holding).

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
i tried that. my wife's phone does not work either. weird though, iphoto shows her phone, but it still says my phones name.

i will try on my mbp tomorrow.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
i tried that. my wife's phone does not work either. weird though, iphoto shows her phone, but it still says my phones name.

i will try on my mbp tomorrow.

Yep, sound like maybe it's one the Mac side. Before you give up and restore, email everything to yourself. There's no sense in losing your photos due to a syncing issue.

djrobx

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Does Image Capture see them? It's in your Applications folder on your Mac.
In my case, no. Image capture reported "No capture devices connected". iTunes did see the phone and could sync to it.

I rebooted into XP. That was even more strange. Like on the Apple side, it was like there was no camera attached. What was weird is that closing the lid on my macbook and re-opening it caused windows to see the camera device briefly. But then it would hang trying to acquire the thumbnails!

Tried rebooting the phone, it made no difference. Resetting to factory settings didn't work - I had to wipe out the existing media for it to start working again.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
ok, i did a combination of stuff. i tried it on my mbp and it worked fine. so i got everything off then deleted them from the phone. i plugged it back into my imac and no pictures, which is good because i didn't have any. took a picture, again no pictures.

hmmmm, so i restarted my machine and now it all seems to be working ok.

thanks for the help guys.

Krikke68

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
I ran into similar problems several times and now I use PhotoToMac to transfer my photos to my Mac over WiFi. It's so much simpler and it always works. :cool:

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Despite the phrase "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" being the butt of many jokes... it actually resolves the majority of IT related issues!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.