Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xrc6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Is it possible? Moving to another browser and would be convenient to have a list of all the passwords for my sites.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
Is it possible? Moving to another browser and would be convenient to have a list of all the passwords for my sites.

It would be convenient, but I'd think it would also be a serious security liability. They'd have to take great care to only pass them directly to another well-vetted app.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Not easily. Those Safari passwords in OS X are stored in the Keychain application. I have seen work arounds like this that use a script to export the passwords to a text (CSV) file.

Reactions: kryten2

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Safari is the browser I use 95% of the time. On occasion I'll use Opera and Firefox. In both, under Preferences, there is an option to sync saved passwords from other browsers (hence, probably from the Mac Os Keychain). I have not used it personally, but, I notice that both Opera and Firefox require you to set up a personal account, first, before the password sync will work.

I don't know anything about Google Chrome as I do not use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.