Exporting Video From FCP and iMovie...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mokat, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Mokat macrumors newbie

In school we run a news program with a green screen. Right now we have been using Adobe Premiere for our backgrounds and transitions for the green screen, but we wanted to switch to a Mac program because all our editing stations are G5s and we use FCP on them.
    The problem I am having is figuring out if there is a way to use either FCP or iMovie and set up a our time line with our image, animations, and videos and then broadcast those images live out of the mac, through RCA cables and into our video mixing box which then outputs to our transmitter.
    Every guide I have seen with FCP or iMovie is filming in green screen then importing the video footage into FCP, editing the green screen out and then burning to a DVD and transmitting it through our DVD player.

If anyone knows a third party program or something built into these programs that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

I have read yor post several times and can't really decipher what the question is, but here's my shot...

Are you asking if FCP can output directly to your video mixing box after all rendering is done?

Yes, it can. Select an appropriate output device on the Audio/Video Settings->AV options tab.
    if no devices show up, and you don't have an RCA or composite output jacks on your G5, you should consider buying a firewire digital to analog converter box ( like the DataVideo DAC-100 series, they're super cheap ).
    Test it on a normal analog monitor first, this is especially important for color correction for your editing station.

Also, for your animations, you'll probably want to get Final Cut Studio so you can use Motion, and since you are a student you instructors can buy it very cheap for the class.

Good luck!

3. Mokat thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that is what I'm talking about. I'm going to be in school on Monday and since we already have a firewire box I will try it. Thanks for the help. I just couldn't figure out how to get the box work before.

Thanks.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

OK, well you're on the right track then. You just have to make sure the firewire box has settings for both serving as an input device and an output device. Mine has a button on it that you have to press when you want to switch, some are automatic.

Good luck!

5. Mokat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Hunter thanks for your help. Yep I got it to work, the box we ended up using is a Canopus ADVC - 110. We set it to Digital In and it worked fine as long as the RCA cables were plugged into the output. Hopefully we will be able to switch from PC to Mac finally and making our work with the editors much easier.