exporting with final cut ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mcneileo, Mar 21, 2010.

1. mcneileo macrumors newbie

whats the best quality you can export at?

is it possible for a higher quality video to be a smaller file?

is quicktime movie higher quality then quicktime coversion?

i exported H.264 1080 best quality and its a bigger file then just straight quicktime movie and i thought quicktime movie were the biggest :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

QuickTime (.mov) is a container for a variety of codecs, such as H264, Sorensen, DV (PAL/NTSC), AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) and ProRes.

The last three are used for editing applications, thus they can be really, really big; the first (H264) for delivering video to various online or other formats.

So, what are your sequence settings and where do you want to deliver this video to?

Also what Final Cut version do you use, Express (3, 4) or Pro (4, 5, 6, 7)?

Have you taken a look at Compressor? Or even the Manual?

3. mcneileo thread starter macrumors newbie

im putting together a skateboarding video and i film with a sony HD camera.

when i go to export should i go to export quicktime conversion or just as quick time movie ?

i use final cut pro 7

every time i export as qt conversion the frames look like some are being skipped and i cant time remap them on after effects but when i export them as just a quicktime movie time remaps work but im worried about losing quality

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

QuickTime Export uses the sequence settings to export the video and audio, so if the sequence is set to use the ProRes codec, the exported .mov will also use the ProRes codec.

The QT Conversion does what it says in its name, it converts to whatever format you set it to.

If you want to use AE, it's best to use the sequence, unless you use highly compressed sequence settings.

Is this your first time using FCP and/or AE?

PS: Using QT Export means no loss in quality.

5. mcneileo thread starter macrumors newbie

whats the best sequence settings, or good ones to have?

yeah when i use AE i usually just click export as quicktime movie and then do what i need to do

its not my first time but now i since im thinking about a dvd i want to know how to make footage as high quality as possible

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That depends on your camera. The settings should match the camera footage as close as you can get, fps, resolution, sample rate, bit depth, ... .

If you use a camera that records using the AVCHD codec, the Apple Intermediate settings should do, as AVCHD is quite lossy, so no need to use ProRes.

7. mcneileo thread starter macrumors newbie

how come when i export as quicktime movie its better quality but smaller file as apposed to when i export as quicktime conversion at H.264 best quality 1080?

8. mcneileo thread starter macrumors newbie

i film with a camera that shoots HDV 1080i60 but i need it to play on both mac and pc

i just need help being able to export footage on final cut pro 7 at the highest quality and being able to play it on pc and mac PLEASE HELP

i need to know sequence settings or settings to export at
    :confused::confused::confused:

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If it is just for viewing, you can use the Export > QuickTime Conversion option and export as .mov using the H264 codec.

But you need to have QT installed on Windows.

Can you tell us more please?

For instance, what is the exported video for, just viewing or more? Does it need to have a specific resolution? Or can it be in SD?

Have you looked at the manual of FCP?

10. mcneileo thread starter macrumors newbie

the exported video is for a dvd im making and to send it to my friends
    its skateboarding footage they need to send to sponsors and such

i would like it to be HD thanks

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have Final Cut Pro 7, you have Final Cut Studio 3, which includes a little software called DVD Studio Pro.
    [​IMG]

That software is able to create so-called video DVDs, which can be played in those physical DVD players near the telly.

If you consult the manual, you can find out how to get from FCP to DVDSP.
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Final_Cut_Pro_7_User_Manual.pdf

Chapter 107, page 1783.

This chapter covers the following:
    • The DVD Creation Process (p. 1783)
    • Adding Chapter and Compression Markers to Your Sequence (p.1788)
    • About DVD Authoring Applications (p.1791)
    • Exporting a QuickTime Movie for DVD Use (p.1791)
    •Using Compressor to Create DVD-Compliant Sources for DVD Studio Pro (p. 1792)

But know that DVDs are in Standard Definition (SD) and not in HD.

If you want HD, you can either use the Share feature (chapter 14, page 1717)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or use Toast, as it can burn Blu Ray content to norma DVDs. But you will only get 30 minutes or so of video.
    [​IMG]