Exporting Yosemite files to import into Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KLinPA, Nov 4, 2014.

1. KLinPA macrumors regular

KLinPA

Hey everyone I need some advice.

My niece uses a lot of photo editing/graphic arts programs. She was having trouble with her 17" MacBook Pro since upgrading to Yosemite. I know she has some unneeded programs running. The college IT guys tried to help but I think they are clueless when it comes to Macs. For instance they installed McAfee. She was having trouble with her Time Capsule Time Machine backups before all this. The guys created a back up but her computer was already on Yosemite. Last back up on Mavericks was completed months before the upgrade.

The lucky girl just got a brand-new MacBook Pro retina and just in case she has some compatibility issues between the programs she needs for school and Yosemite, I am going to wipe the "old" Mac, install Mavericks and start fresh. I know how to do everything here.

What I need help with is exporting her photos and possibly her projects so that I can import them into Mavericks. I'm assuming I need to find the raw/master files. While I'm familiar with iPhoto/Aperture (a least a little) I'm definitely not with any of the Adobe products. I believe she has a few iMovies too. Can anyone provide me with the best steps possible? Using Finder to the copy a file/folder, exporting from the application etc. I intend to make sure this never happens again. I will have her back ups working once everything is done.

I appreciate any help you can give! This is how I intend to spend my Thanksgiving.:cool:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Tell your niece to use a free program called EtreCheck. Tell her if something that the program finds in the color RED then that means it is incompatible. The program then will give the path to the incompatible service or program so she can manually delete the item. Once she has put those incompatible things she will need to reboot her Mac.

Then point her to update all her programs verifing they are ready by looking up the names of programs comparing them to the ones on MacUpdate.com.

Lastly urge here to deinstall the MacFee since it is not ready for 10.10.

3. KLinPA thread starter macrumors regular

KLinPA

Thanks for your response. I had her take the Mac back to the IT guys with a list of stuff to remove (McAfee and other crap they put on). Thanks for the program recommendation. I'll check it out.

What I most concerned with is recovering her photos and projects. Why oh why do people update when 1- there time machine isn't working right and 2- right before a paper or project is due.

I'm flying blind until I can look at her system. I tried using Messages Screen Sharing - that's when we found the McAfee and other things blocking us. I'm anticipating her new MacBook Pro Retina to have issues since I'm sure she will install the crap from her "old" one that was slowing it down in the first place.

Anyone know a good Authorized Apple Service Provider in the Rochester NY area?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I heard good things about Core Mac and another Mac-Ave that has good reviews.