Expose a little choppy (Intel graphics?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karohan, Jul 14, 2010.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

Expose seems to be a little choppy on my macbook pro...is this just because I'm using the Intel graphics? When I use the dedicated it does get less choppy but I'm wondering if there's any other reason as well and a solution.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

How much free RAM do you have when it gets choppy?

3. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

When I go to activity monitor, and it says I have 2.29 GB that is free (747 MB that is wired and 215 MB that is inactive, though I'm not sure what these mean).

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That means that you're fine as far as RAM goes. Is Expose always choppy with the intel graphics? Even after a reboot?

5. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, do you experience the same thing? I thought maybe my definition of choppy was too picky, but its noticeably smoother with the dedicated gpu. However, you'd think the integrated graphics could handle a GUI animation.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have the old MacBook Pro with the Nvidia 8600GT, so it doesn't have integrated graphics and thus doesn't have choppy animations.

7. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so this is what I found out. Enabling Beam Sync via Quartz Debug will no longer tie the remapping of windows and other objects on my screen to my laptops refresh rate and that removes the lag on expose. So this is not Intel's fault. However, disabling Beam Sync will also cause this terrible vertical tearing. I'm not sure where to go from here.

8. mrdurdenad macrumors newbie

I notice it too, when running graphics on the intel HD chip, you get choppy expose and Dashboard animation, switching to Nvidia smooths things out.
    I believe its normal, at least I don't really mind.

9. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

I can live with it, but don't you think that the intel graphics would be able to handle something as simple and integral to the operating system as its GUI effects? A lot of effects such as the magnification on the dock were perfectly fine, its just expose (and dashboard, but I disabled that). I use expose a lot, and I run only Nvidia when on AC power, but I don't want to have to when on battery.

10. mac(maybe) macrumors member

MBP 13'' FOREVER!

Nvidia 320, no switching cards, silent and cool, and everything is smooth...
    at least for (my) normal use, which excludes superheavy gaming.

11. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't had any noise or heat issues, but this is a little annoying. Nothing I would consider getting the 13" for, but its mind boggling the Intel HD graphics can't handle it. Is it b/c of crappy drivers (and something I should expect to improve) or is this just the inferiority of the graphics?

12. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Crappy drivers. Apple have gone all-in with nvidia so no surprise that other cards have problems in OS X. That and 10.6 have from the beginning even during the development had problems with choppy expose when 10.5 was running fine.

13. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I expect this to be fixed?

14. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

probably with 10.6.5

15. mikeulus macrumors newbie

Same problem with me. Choppy expose and dashboard with integrated graphics, and silky smooth animations with the 330m. This is kind of sad. Why hasn't Apple noticed this?

16. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried reinstalling but I get the same results (it's running 10.6.3 instead of 10.6.4). Just curious, how many people with the 2010 Macbook Pros are experiencing this? Is this something that you guys have come to expect, is this new, is this something you guys expect to be fixed? Because considering the significant difference between the Intel and Nvidia for something as trivial as an OS animation, I would expect this to be bigger of an issue. I know it doesn't affect much in the actual processing power of things, but I'm a little OCD about this and it makes my computing experience feel a lot more sluggish than I'd like.
    On another note, I heard that the Intel performs well with Windows 7 animations with boot camp, so I don't think its a problem with the hardware.

17. Yimbie macrumors member

It's definitely a driver issue. I personally don't believe that Apple will have this fixed anytime soon, but that's my opinion. The Intel HD graphics card issue was one of the main reasons why I decided to purchase a 17" with C2D instead of an i5. Apple definitely went the wrong direction with having an Intel HD integrated, but I guess that was expected. If only the driver was actually good. I have the same Intel HD card on my PC notebook and there are no issues that I notice.

I'm off of the A/C a lot, so I'd be using the lower graphics card. In this case... nVidia 9400m is much better than the Intel HD.

18. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have any precedent for thinking that Apple's not going to release better Intel drivers? Because that's a little upsetting to think about, especially considering it's simply a driver issue, not a hardware limitation.

19. Yimbie macrumors member

I believe I read somewhere before on these forums that Apple considered this a "nonissue". Besides that, I'm basing it off of Apple's history with fixing graphics issues. They haven't exactly been great with nVidia and their history together.

20. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

That's interesting, I mean how do Macbook Pro customers think this is acceptable? As far as I know, there aren't that many complaining about this right now. I'm sure if enough people would complain about it, Apple would do something, right?

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because the Macbook Pro line is, primarily, sold to consumers who come from Windows XP, and are used to spyware slowing their system down so much they hardly notice a little chop.

If you were Apple, would you devote time and resources to fixing something that very few people care about, which probably will never be used again in another Macbook Pro?

***I'm just going from Apple's past record here; maybe they will surprise us all and fix it.

22. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I did buy an Apple because I assumed it cared about its customers more than PC makers and Microsoft did. It sucks though that we have to wait for Apple to release a fix and the community can do nothing to help, especially if Apple's not even going to release one.

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You'll find that OS X is a rather annoying system to troubleshoot. Support on these forums anymore is is more along the lines of: Call AppleCare, Reinstall OS X, Replace it.

24. mikeulus macrumors newbie

Solution: get gfxCardStatus v1.8.1

I have my MBP i5 set up so that it uses the discrete chip when plugged into the power supply, and automatic switching when using battery. This is a great solution for me.

25. sadcamper macrumors regular

I don't get any choppy graphic problems using the Intel card...only when viewing youtube or hd movies fullscreen do I feel I *need* the Nvidia card.