Expose and Hot Corners problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by weizilla, Mar 26, 2008.

1. weizilla macrumors regular

I have my bottom left and top right corners set for expose.

Sometimes expose works perfectly fine: I move mouse to corner, expose kicks in and move windows apart, I move mouse away from corner and click on a window. All is well. :)

However, sometimes when I move the mouse to the corner, expose kicks in and when I move my mouse away to click on a window, the expose goes away and all the windows go back to their normal positions. It's as if I move my mouse pointer to the expose hot corner twice in a row without clicking on anything, even though I'm only doing it once. :(

This is really annoying me because I think it's happening more and more and it doesn' help if I change the hot corner for expose. I can't seem to reproduce the problem though. Is anything else experiencing anything similar?

2. macsrules macrumors regular

Just turn hot corners off and set it to work with a keyboard key. Or, you could get a four button trackball and set one of the buttons to activate expose. I use the logitech 4 button trackball myself. I recommend this one because they give you software that works with Mac and lets you set the buttons to do certain things. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/156&cl=us,en

3. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

no offence, i dont mean to steal any credit frm you, but i have a feeling this person would rather continue to use hot corners instead of learning a new key command/buying a new mouse. Once again no offence.

What im sure is happening (and im sure you already figured out) is... well hot corners, has like a set "area" thats probably 10x10 pixels large, and when it senses your mouse i the area bamn its activated. Whats probably happening, is your mouse goes to that area, ok, and then somehow, it also goes past it... (so imagine it, as if you go past a wall) then on your way back you have to pass that wall again. So its activated twice. But whats supposed to happen is that wall would be at the very edge of the screen making going past it impossible.

Best i think i can do is explain what i think is wrong... i wouldnt ever know how to fix it. Some questions thouhg. which OS X you using? What type of mac? and this may be important, what screen resolution?

4. weizilla thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand how the mouse could be going through the area twice. It seems like the hot corner area should be in the corner of the screen extending to the edge so when I move the cursor straight to the corner, it should only go through it once because the cursor has no where else to go.

I am using os x 10.5.2 and the default resolution of 1280 x 800 on the new penryn macbook. The part that bugs me is that I can't figure out what I'm doing to cause this problem. Whenever it occurs, I have to move the mouse to the same hot corner again and it never happens the second time.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you ever used it on another Mac and not had the same problem? I'd (guessing) tend to agree with applefan69's idea (sort of... I think the space goes all the way to the hard corner of the screen, but if you bounce in and out and into the corner again, you'll cancel Exposé). If this is the case, you probably ought to adjust your mouse acceleration parameters....

Another possibility is that you're accidentally hitting a key in the process and escaping out of Exposé that way....the spacebar for instance will do this.