expose button (f3) preferences for macbooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by caspian915, Mar 4, 2008.

1. caspian915 macrumors member

caspian915

hey all,

So now that i have one of the newer Macbooks, I notice there's a dedicated expose button (also labeled F3). Pressing it does the expose function for all apps running, cmd+expose shows the desktop and you have to press ctrl+expose to do it within the app you are currently using.

I would like to change the functionality to make just pressing that button (without any added keys) to do the last thing: expose just for the windows in the application I am currently in (it's the one I use the most).

The expose preferences don't give me that option (it lists each as F9, F10, and F11 respectively...something i have to press fn for).

Does anyone have a solution to this? Thanks.

sps

2. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Go to the keyboard tab and check "Use all F1 as standard function keys"
    And then go to the Keyboard shortcuts tab, collapse the "Dock, Expose, Dashboard" arrow and go to the Desktop one. I think the default is F11. Now that you have the function keys enabled, you don't have to press fn+11, pressing F11 will work. What you can do is double click on the current shortcut and then enter the new one, which in your case would be F3. And there ya go.

The thing with this is, since you enabled the standard fn keys, the ones like dashboard, brightness, itunes media control wont work. You can do the same thing you just did for dashboard, but I'm not too sure how the brightness/iTunes would work. If this is a problem, you could always use hot corners to activate Expose.