Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queenredspecial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
* Mods, if this is more appropriate in the OSX forum, please feel free to move it. *

I bought a Macbook Pro when they first came out, and I'm using OS 10.4.11 on it.

For a long time I didn't even know about 'expose' -- it never worked. Now that I know what it is, I really want it to. (To be honest, in my head I thought all this time how great it would be if a button could make you see all the windows. Now I find out it has existed all along! :D)

So, what to do? My dashboard (F12) and my desktop clear thing (F11) work perfectly. However, no matter what I do in preferences, F7 won't work when assigned as expose, (even though the key itself has the expose symbol on it,) neither will F10 or F9 or F8. Is this a glitch? Is it fixable?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
:eek:

Swiftaw, i love you!!! :D

It worked -- it worked!!!! Now, is there a way to do it without the fn?

(thank you!)

You should be able to assign it a different keystroke. Just go to your system preferences and to the 'Dashboard & Expose' pane. You'll see keyboard and mouse shortcuts..Then for 'All Windows' and 'Desktop' I'd choose a different keystroke for them. That should work I believe.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
If you want to use screen corners, its the easiest way to use expose with the old style trackpad.

bottom left for show all windows, top left for dashboard, top right for clear desktop, bottom right for all application windows.

I thought about it long and hard and this is the only sensible way to set up corners, and if you have them another way you are wrong.

ENJOY!

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
if you go into keyboard settings under system preferences there is a check box that allows you to change the function key settings. It is the check box that says "Use all F1, F2, etc., keys as standard function keys."

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-25 at September 25, 12.11.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-25 at September 25, 12.11.51 PM.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.