Expose laggy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikesjo, Jul 4, 2007.

1. mikesjo macrumors regular

Expose seems to lag or not be smooth the first few times I use it if I havn't used it for a few mins. Does this happen to some of you and is there a way to fix it? It's annoying. It was always smooth on my iBook but on this new MBP...it's not smooth half the time.

Annoying as hell.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Is anything else laggy, or just Expose?

Try repairing disk permissions, in Disk Utility :)
    Also try restarting (if you haven't already)...

3. mikesjo thread starter macrumors regular

Just expose. Doesn't matter if I restart or not, it just does it for the first bit then is smooth. If i don't use it for a few mins, the next time I use it it's choppy :(.

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

What are you trying to "expose"? Is it multiple videos or different virtual machines? Because I think exposé would be choppy then for anyone. If it's something like 1 photo in preview then there's something wrong.

5. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same problem. I just came on here to search if anyone else started a thread about this. Its a brand new SR MBP, 2.2GHz, with the 128mb graphics. It happened right out of the box, it'll happen with the even just a few finder or safari windows open. I was working on a CD iMac up till about two weeks ago and it never did anything like this.

The other thing i've noticed is during the transition to front row. The top 3mm or so of the screen gets very choppy as the Finder drifts off into the distance behind front row. It's very noticeable in the top left corner of the screen, but the rest of the animation is plenty smooth. Anybody else experiencing any of these problems?

6. mrjarvie macrumors member

Expose Lag

I am experiencing the same problems.
    I have the latest 2.4GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB ram and 256MB graphics card. It experiences expose lag when moving only a couple of 'finder' windows - expose smoothes out after a few cycles, but who cares.
    I used to own a 1.25GHz Powerbook with 1GB of ram and it did not experience any expose lag (even when shifting demanding application windows around the screen). For a top end laptop that has only been released for a month, a small, but unacceptable niggle.
    Also, when I run iChat, my MBP fans go crazy - reaching around 6000RPM.
    Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

I think I'll get my macbook pro swapped unless there is some sort of quick fix or someone can shed some light on a potential solution for the problem.

Any input would be appreciated,
    Cheers

7. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Well I think it because the drivers for the new SR MBP's for the GPU is not really that optimised yet. Wait awhile as the drivers mature, it should get better.

8. mrjarvie macrumors member

Lag result of faulty hardware

Having spoken to Apple about the expose lag problem, they suggested the following to try and remedy the problem:
    1) Repair disk permissions
    2) Create a new account (preference related problem)
    3) Erase and install OS X

Unfortunately none of the above helped and the lag persisted.

The technical advisor said if the erase and install did not fix the lag problem, it is not software related, and therefore, must be due to faulty hardware.

Apple have acknowledged the problem and a replacement will be issued.

I agree with the previous post - that drivers may indeed be part of the problem - but at £1600 I cannot afford to wait and see. Will soon find out upon receipt of new MBP.

9. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

let us know if that fixes the problem. Its great that they'll replace it, but i'd rather not deal with sending back and all that. I don't think i'd even bother if its just exposé that's slow. maybe if all the graphix are choppy like that. But i was getting 60fps for itunes visualizations, that didn't seem too bad.

10. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

iTunes visualisations use the CPU if i'm not mistaken.