Expose > Mission Control?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xJus10x, Jul 20, 2011.

1. xJus10x, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

xJus10x macrumors regular

Is there a way to not use mission control? I'm much more familiar with Expose. I don't like how each window doesn't get it's own space. Windows in Safari are stacked, etc.

Also why can't I do the four fingers up to get a desktop view. The pinch with three fingers works like 50% of the time.

Anyone else really hating the new gestures? All I want is four finger down is expose and four fingers up is my desktop... dammit!!

I guess I should ask why is mission control better than expose? I don't understand.

Edit: Every FREAKING time I try to show desktop i get app expose.. ughhhhh this sucks. You can't hold down letters apparently either as I had to type out each h in "ughhhh" separately. It's the little things that are ruining the Lion experience.

I used to be able to navigate all windows and my desktop extremely fast.

2. meelash macrumors member

You can do the launch pad gesture on top of an application in MissionControl to spread out the windows....

3. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

I guess that works. Anything with three fingers and a thumb isn't working well for me. Still a lot less simple than four fingers down. Gesture changes FTL :(

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Have a look at HyperDock. http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/

I have it installed on my Snow Leopard machine. I like that because I found Expose in the Dock quite lacking but Mission Control really horrible to use (from what I tried from Developer Previews).

HyperDock can work as a replacement for Expose in the Dock that's now gone from Lion but it gives you some similar window management functionality that I love from Windows 7.

Personally, I really don't think Lion is that big of a deal. It's like going from Windows 98 to Windows Me, back in the day (before we found out the instability problems of Windows Me :p ). Maybe one or two coolish things but overall the same system so nothing worth upgrading to. I found Lion more of a hassle and I feel that some features, like the Mission Control, take a step backward for ease of use. But each to their own :)

5. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

100% agree. They're trying to push gesture controls like it's completely new, but I've been happily using gestures on my MacBook for 2+ years. Now I have to get used to new, less-usable gestures. Not liking it. That's what separated OS X and Windows in terms of ease of use on a laptop for me.

6. askabob91 macrumors member

Does anyone know how to replace Mission Control with Expose/Spaces? If not, are there any alternatives out there? Mission control is clumsy and stupid.. what's the point of stacking windows in safari so that I can't see what's beneath them?! And linear spaces :mad:

7. londonbizzare macrumors newbie

londonbizzare

Exposé Only Half Gone

Expose is only half gone. If you go into the System Preferences and go into Mission Control you can choose Application windows to open with Keystroke F3 (Or whatever hotkey you want). This will enable Exposé like view of all open windows for one application. While in the Application Windows view if you press Option+Tab this will allow you to toggle through all open applications. I miss the old Expose but this isn't half bad.