Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tokolowicz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Hi-

I am a MAC newbie and very happy. I recently bought a used 2 month old PB from someone. I have a 15" PB - 1GB of RAM - (128 VRAM) - SuperDrive, etc. BTW, how can I verify I have 128MB of VRAM and a 9700 Graphic chipset???

Basically, I am test driving the PB for two days and I can return it if it wasn't delivered as promised (escrow is a wonderful thing). Also, I paid $1600 for it which is a great price, seeing that the orig owner paid $2700 at the Apple store 2 mos. ago.

Sorry for the rambling, but my main question is that expose doesn't seem to be working, and I haven't been able to find any support related items on how to resolve it. I have not changed the default key settings. The only key that works is F11 (minimize all). Nothing happens when I hit F9 and F10 and they are assigned properly. When I hit F9 or F10, the only thing that happens is the logo on the F9 and F10 key appears on the screen (with a certain amount of transparency and also a circle with a line through it appears. Any ideas?

Thanks-
Todd

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Hmmm that's definitely a weird problem. Did you try using Google and searching for like "F keys not working on PowerBook"? If not I would try that. You can verify all the system specs by clicking the Apple logo in the topr left of your screen and choosing "About this Mac." Then choose "More Info" and the system profiler will open. Just click the appropriate category on the left, and you should find all the info you need.

Goog luck with the PowerBook!

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Has the previous owner changed the exposé functions to something else?
Try System Prefs->Exposé and make sure that F9 and F10 are in place.
It's weird you should ask this question - I've just got back from the Regent St store and the PowerBook is was playing with did the same thing. Don't the laptops have slightly different key combinations than the desktops due to a reduced keyboard? Something to do with using the fn key. Anyone with a laptop tell me?

tokolowicz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
No the function keys have not been reassigned. In fact, he used the restore CDs to put a fresh copy of OSX on the machine. When I received it, the first thing I did was update Panther to 10.3.9. So everything should be at the default settings, which I verified through System Prefs. Hmmm...please someone out there help me with this..

tokolowicz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Also, I just tested that expose works properly when assigning one of the 4 corners of the window to be assigned to an expose function. So what is up with the FN keys???

tokolowicz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Ok I'm dumb....I guess I need to hold down the FN key to make it work as well. All is good. Thanks and you shall hear from me more in the future, hopefully with better questions next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.