Expose (now Mission Control) gets choppier with each successive OS X release?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by karohan, Jul 25, 2011.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

Has anyone else noticed that OS X's Expose (and I guess now Mission Control) feature gets choppier/more sluggish with its animation with every successive release? On Snow Leopard, I am using the old Leopard Expose and it works pretty smoothly. It's threshold for slight choppiness/sluggishness is about 30 or so windows. Up until then, the animation is totally buttery smooth.

With the Snow Leopard Expose, the animation's threshold for losing complete buttery smoothness is around 7 or 8 windows. After that it becomes a little jittery. Around 10-15 windows is where there is a clear noticeable difference in smoothness between the Leopard animation and Snow Leopard animation (I've set up a script to quickly change between the Dock's to get the best comparisons of smoothness).

Now with Mission Control, I feel like the choppiness starts to hit as soon as 4 to 6 windows. I am using a dedicated video card (330m), so that shouldn't be the problem. I've manually modified kexts and plists on both Snow Leopard and Lion to eliminate any power management of the graphics card (the thresholds are even worse with the graphics power management), but I'm just wondering why are the animations getting "worse" with each new release?

All animations are buttery smooth in Lion, except for the Mission Control animation. This is not an unbearable choppiness that would indicate something is seriously wrong, but it is a slight yet still significant/noticeable choppiness that did not exist in the previous version of Expose/Mission Control. As someone who is a little too OCD about the smoothness of animations, I am curious what is so intensive about these new Expose/Mission Control animations that causes the choppiness. None of the windows use any flash or anything intensive. Why doesn't it happen when changing spaces or invoking Dashboard in Lion? Is this just the result of Lion being a .0 release so far? But the Expose in Snow Leopard is still choppier than Leopard's Expose, and Snow Leopard is a mature release.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I havent noticed this, but I upgrade my mac as it needs it to keep it up to date.

3. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean software-wise or hardware-wise? I'm always up to date software-wise, and my hardware is relatively recent (2010 2.66 GHz i7 MBP) so I wouldn't think that would make a huge difference.

4. miknos Suspended

miknos

I noticed difference too. I guess we need to buy new hardware to use it smoothly (sarcasm). I have a macbook early 2008, in your case, thats strange.

5. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Ironically, the expose in 10.5 was choppier than 10.4.

Also, using 10.5 expose in 10.6 gets choppier quicker than it does in 10.5 because drop shadows are added to the exposed windows(they are not added in 10.5).

Continuing on the subject of choppiness , the Dashboard zoom animation has gotten progressively less smooth from tiger onwards.

Same pattern with Spaces.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Hardware...this year I noticed it was starting to feel slow, so I got an SSD and a new graphics card...now it feels brand new again!

7. keypox macrumors member

funny part is the guy above you is 100% serious... maybe funny isn't quite the correct descriptor.