Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I find the F11 key to be a very nice part of expose as i often need to reveal my desktop and my screen is full of windows.....
Expose is great and i would say it is far from over rated if anything the contrary...

SHadOW ;)

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I don't like or use Exposé. I played with it when it first came out but it didn't really help me do things faster or be more organized. I do use XKeys which are Xcellent. :)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I have 'all windows' - i.e. F9 set up for my scroll button on my mouse and I find it immensely useful. Whenever I switch over to using a Windows PC I find myself looking blankly at the screen for a few seconds until I realise that hitting the scroll button isn't going to do anything. With loads of windows open it's really useful. Plus, as my mouse has 5 buttons, I use another one for application windows and another for desktop (although I have actually started using the 5th for dashboard now). So from my point of view it most certainly isn't overrated.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Jay42 said:
you would need a lot of luck to get hot corners to work on Windows!

there is software called Entbloess that does expose for XP, but if it does hot corners though.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I don't use Expose extensively, but I do use it. I think Expose gives OS X a "wow" factor, but is also very useful. I have a 12" PB so being able to see all the different windows open at once is very nice. I like having Expose binded to mouse keys. My middle mouse button is F9 and works very well. I also used to use Sidetrack and I had corners of my trackpad binded to Expose. I could quickly tap the corner and see what windows I have open.

And yes, I also find myself trying to activate Expose in Windows. Its very annoying when nothing happens.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
hot corners rule

top left is all windows exposé bottom left to go to the desktop bottom right is screen saver and top right is dashboard.

i use all of them all the time.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
I dont use exposé much at all, i use the dock to select the app i want, took me long enough to get used to that after the programs menu in the old macos :D

Although, if i'm thinking about what i'm doing, and i have loads of windows open i'll sometime use f11 (show all windows on here), but thats pretty rare

I dont consider exposé a pointless feature, infact quite the opposite, i've seen people who only came into mac recently using it all the time, makes their workflow look like something from startrek :cool: lol

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I personally think it's overrated because I use DesktopManager, and I usually close/hide my windows when I'm not using them (usually Safari, Mail and iTunes). I also rarely minimize windows, but expose is still better than that dreaded Windows taskbar.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
no. its not. personally i use it pretty much every 5 seconds, using hot corners and all that (top-left= Dashboard, bottom-left= that show all windows one, bottom-right= desktop only). just makes my life so much easier. greatest feature ever.

ive found myself doing it on XP too only to cry at its badness

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I've made my "enter" key on my powerbook into a F9, so I can use expose without having to reach up off the trackpad. I use the app switcher a lot too, but it's become such second nature to drop into expose that when I use someone else's laptop I'm constantly hitting that key expecting it to work!

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I can't live without expose. I have mine set up on hot corners. Show Desktop is top right, so I can click on files that are usually up in that corner, Dashboard is top left, with the calculator widget in that corner as well so its right under the pointer after dashboard activiates, bottom right is All windows.

If I use somepne else's computer, I always try to hit my hot corners and am disappointed when nothing happens. I've almost forgotten another way to get to a window on the bottom. :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i couldn't live without epose. it's great. and i usually have only 5 or 6 windows open. but i just hit F9 and i know whats going on.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
DaveP said:
Hey Guys (and gals),

Does anyone else think expose is overrated? I think it is really impressive as far as the wow factor, but find that I am much, much more efficient using command-tab and command-~ to manuever to the window I want. I think expose looks really cool and it is good feature, I just don't find it that usefull. I know some people (like my girlfriend) are not comfortable with keyboard commands and use expose to select windows.

I see people listing expose as a feature they like the best or can't live without and I just sort of scratch my head. I am the only one?
I don't use expose that much, since I use command-tab to do most of my work... But my father can't live without it. I really think that this is a very cool feature, and the fact that you and me don't use it, doesn't change anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.