Expose/Spaces problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by K5Blazer91, Aug 28, 2010.

1. K5Blazer91 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Macbook Pro 15" i7; the only problem I've had with it is this: every now and then my Expose/Space/Screen Corners stop working, and the only solution I can find is to just restart my computer (which thanks to the i7 is only about 20 seconds anyway :) ). Does anyone here have any advice on this? I'm new to Macs so go easy on me!

2. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm love Spaces and think its one of the most useful parts of OS X. If there was one item I could move to Windows 7, Spaces would be it. I have it set so the right corner triggers Spaces. I have to multitask between a half dozen or so apps so I love being able to flick my wrist, view my Spaces, and switch to the next app.

Having said that, I have not had any issues with Spaces since SL or maybe SL + an update.

Some thoughts:

You mention Spaces and Expose, are both of these hot corner enabled?

If so, does it still happen if you switch conners?

Might there be another program thats running or gets loaded that 'takes control' of that corner?

If you set the screensaver to the corner you are using now for Spaces, does it still have the same issue?

Are you running 32bit or 64bit mode? Shouldn't matter but I was just wondering. Maybe switch to one to see if it still occurs?

Do you see any pattern to it refusing to work? Any app or game that you runs and then it stops?

Does this happen when you are running Office? It took MS forever to get Spaces working correctly with their apps. Its still not perfect but its good enough for Microsoft.

Cheers!
    -P

3. K5Blazer91 thread starter macrumors newbie

P,

I have spaces enabled in the lower left corner, and I just use Expose using Gestures on the touchpad. When it acts up, both the hot corner, and all expose/app switching/show desktop features stop working; however, two finger scrolling, and three finger back/forward gestures continue to work. As far as running programs go, I'm usually web surfing when this happens, so I doubt there's a program acting up. I have no idea if I'm in 32 bit or 64 bit mode, I'm still pretty new to Macs. There really isn't any pattern to it, just a sporadic occurrence, and I don't use Office - iWork seemed to be the way to go :D.

I've read threads on this same problem before, but I'm not "fluent" enough with Macs to understand some of the suggestions (something to do with typing killall dock in the terminal). The easiest way I've found is to just restart the computer, especially since it doesn't happen that often.

4. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Hmmm... Do you live near an Apple Store that you could pop in after work and show a Genius? They might be able to spot something right away.

The only other idea I have is a reinstall of the OS which is a drag...

How long can you go before it stops? Minutes? Hours? Overnight?

P

5. K5Blazer91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, unfortunately I'm in down in Springfield, MO for school, so no Apple Store for awhile. Basically, it's not a huge problem, it's just one of those things that annoys you when it happens, which is maybe once every several days - even weeks. I just thought I'd see if the MR Forum had any quick advice on the subject, but it looks like the easiest method for me is to just restart the computer, and luckily the i7 makes quick work of that! :D

6. K5Blazer91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the other thread I found on the same topic, I don't know if that helps explain the problem or not. It sounds like that person my be running an older OS (is leopard different from SL?), but it sounds like the same issue. I just don't know how to restart the dock like what is recommended.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=395208

7. K5Blazer91 thread starter macrumors newbie

P,

My Spaces/expose problem happened again just a few minutes ago. I got to tinkering around with my computer, and I found that if I used the hot corner to engage the screensaver, then spaces/expose would work again once I "resumed" back from the screen saver. I don't know why that is, but it's simper than restarting the Mac!

Jon

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'd run software update and repair permissions with disk utility and report back. Both can be found using finder if you have trouble finding them on your own.

9. boscobilly macrumors newbie

boscobilly

Try Force Quit

You can restart the Finder with Force Quit under the Apple Menu Button. That might do it without a restart.

10. mac8867 macrumors 6502

another option is to just not use the hot corners... you can download "better touch tool" and set up your finger pad with special finger swipes etc. I personally use it with a super mouse... two finger swipe to move between spaces, 2 finger click to open expose etc etc...

11. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I have this problem too. It corrects itself randomly without restarts sometimes. I'm not too worried about it since it's a software issue, but it's really annoying sometimes.