Exposed Nerve

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MLeepson, Aug 10, 2007.

1. MLeepson macrumors 6502

On tuesday, I was getting a routine teeth cleaning (fun, fun, fun) and the hygenist noticed I had a cavity, so she was diging around in the cavity and I noticted it gave me more pain than a regular cavity. She finished her buissness, and when I was done, they told me I had an opening later that day to fill the cavity. I go back later that day and that dentist pokes back the cavity for a while, he said that's a deep one with an exposed nerve (he aid I was one before gettiong a root canal). He puts some medicine in it and drills away (which was very painful, by the way) I leave the office still numb, and when the Novicane wears off, It feels like someone it constatnt pushing on the nerve (which the filing is). The pain was so bad it got wore when I sat or lyed down. I called the dentisted he preciped Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with Codeine). Of course Tylenol 3 worked, but I only needed it for a day. I'm still have some residual pain in my tooth and gums, (it not as bad, and dentist said it would come) does anyone know how long that generaly lasts for?

2. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Ha, your lucky you didn't have a root canal, my mother says they are painful!

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It really shouldn't hurt too badly, you should call them on this. It usually feels sore for a day or two and feels like a dull ache and goes away. If you have sharp stabby pains, they need to know. I'm surprised you didn't end up with a root canal with an exposed nerve like that. Root Canals suck but mostly people just like to whine about it... it's not THAT bad. (and I am terrified of dentists)

4. Queso macrumors G4

You're lucky it got caught in time. Although it will be painful for a bit, you still have a living tooth there. With a root canal you get the pain and a tooth that becomes increasingly brittle as time goes on.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

true.

and I suppose that's partially why I have a bunk crown. :/ (I've had two root canals. :eek: one of the crowns is completely crap and needs replacing.)

6. MLeepson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your advise. he said that the pain is normal, and it's bad take half a Tylenol 3. The pain definatly was/is not as bad as when he first filled the tooth. Time will tell.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Yeah it shouldn't hurt that bad, if it persists then definitely go back.

I've had 3 root canals and none of them hurt, even afterwards. It was annoying and uncomfortable yes, but pain no.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

what type of pain is it? Is it throbbing? (and do you have a fever?) <- just to make sure something is not infected.

9. MLeepson thread starter macrumors 6502

No fever. It's the same type of pain that I had when I cam from the dentist the first time. It's like a sharp pain, like somethingis is touching the exposed nerve, which it is (the filling is)

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Call them right away. My bet is that it's root canal time. Trust me, you don't want a jaw infection. You think it hurts now, a jaw infection is ten times worse and can land you in the hospital.

[EDIT] Just saw your other post. If it goes away, it should be fine.

11. MLeepson thread starter macrumors 6502

The pain seems to be fading away, I decided against taking anything. My dentists did say I would have some sensitivity for tempeture extremities and I did have a very cold drink this morning. :rolleyes: But if I have more pain later, I'm calling him again. But the pain I've been having hasn't been as bad as it's been when first filled the cavity.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

OK, that sounds a little more like it. whew

yes hot and cold especially are painful for quite some time. I still get a twinge when ice cream gets on my fillings. stupid teeth. (they're straight but overly prone to cavities.)

13. MLeepson thread starter macrumors 6502

yeahh. I learned the hard way. :( The thing was. The tooth never hurt before the dentist was mucking around in there.
    thanks everyone

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yeah but that's always the way. pain is not always proportionate with damage. it was a lucky catch... even if it doesn't seem like it. root canals do suck, crowns are just no fun.
    feel better!

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah, my favorite thing right before my first root canal and crown- everyone kept telling me that they weren't that bad. Believe me, they SUCK. Three appointments of pain and then sensitivity for a long time after. I got a jaw infection as a result of one too. That was truly horrible. I hate the dentist.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Really? That's not what I heard. :eek: