Exposure Closure Blog

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MarcBook, Apr 13, 2009.

1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hello everyone,

I recently started a new blog that I'd love you to have a look at. Although there's not a huge amount on it at the moment, I'll be regularly posting (probably at least once a day) on the topics of technology, photography, science and music.

Visit it here:
    http://exposureclosure.wordpress.com

Comments, preferably on the blog pages, would be greatly appreciated. I'm searching for ways to build a regular group of followers, so I hope you like it enough to come back occasionally! I managed to get 100 hits yesterday, so maybe you can help me beat that today?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Marc :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's a very nice clean-looking site you have. One suggestion; some of your pictures are way larger than they need to be (for example, the shot of your mbp). Consider cropping or resizing. This will also decrease load times which is always nice.

Also, I don't see a link to subscribe to an RSS feed...

3. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yeah, I know that MBP photo is waayyy to big, but my Mac's being repaired right now (8600M GT issue) so I don't have my usual cropping software.

The RSS feed can be accessed in the address bar of your Web browser, but yes, I'll try and make a dedicated link to it. Thanks for your comment!

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

You are off to a good start w/ your blog. LOVE the photo of the Dobie!

6. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Thanks a lot, guys. I've spend the afternoon refining it a little and I've settled on a final layout (for now).

I'll be posting very regularly so it would be great to see regular visitors. Comments on the posts would be brilliant too and I'll welcome criticism as much as praise. I'm a big Apple fan, so there hopefully won't be too much for you to grumble about! :p

Any help to get the blog known would be wonderful as well. Simply telling friends or Tweeting about it etc. helps loads. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it now comes up on the first page in Google if you search for 'exposureclosure' or 'exposure closure'. :)

7. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

She is a lovely dog but she's very naughty... She knows how to open doors and even fridges, so she has to be constantly watched! :rolleyes:

We have another Dobermann, Zeus, who's much bigger and has a black coat. He's getting on a bit now but he's the most lovable dog ever. He's a real softie.

8. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Your page really looks great, with a nice balance between text and photos. There is one thing that I would like to encourage you, and that is to do a deeper research on your technical articles. Your texts could need a bit more technical detail and general depth, and don't forget links to the pages that you found most useful.

If you are discussing photographic things, you can also try and show the effects directly - e.g. the same scene pictured with ISO 1600 and 1/1000 s compared to ISO 100 and 1/60 s.

Finally, a question just out of curiosity, since you write that your father has a large collection of HD-DVD and BlueRay films. From a non-technical consumer's point of view, is there really any big difference between the two formats? In other words, could an average person detect the difference between a HD-DVD and BlueRay movie if it wasn't for the logos?

9. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hi there,

Thanks for your comment. I'll bear all of that in mind, although I didn't want to make the posts too dense with technical stuff. It's good to know that some readers would appreciate more technical detail, so I'll try and put more into my upcoming posts.

Your comment on the ISO article is a good one, but unfortunately my Mac's being repaired so I'm using my back-up Sony laptop, meaning that most of my photos aren't available right now. My future photography posts will have more direct comparisons between settings.

Regarding the DVD formats, I honestly can't tell the difference between HD DVD and Blu-ray when I'm watching them, even on my dad's super high-end system. They both deliver full 1080 high-def quality and both have superior audio to standard DVD. So in answer to your question, I seriously doubt the average person could detect the difference between HD DVD and Blu-ray.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! :D

10. NightGeometry macrumors regular

The post on film speed / ISO seems to have a fair bit of misinformation. It isn't always described in 100's - I have some 50 in the freezer, and I have used 25 in the past. I think Kodak still make an ISO 12 film, though I've never seen any, and I'm fairly sure Ilford make an ISO 64 still.

Also - if you use high ISO film then you do get 'analogue noise' or film grain as it's normally known. On B&W this is usually accepted as adding a bit of flavour, but on high ISO colour film this is often quite unpleasant, and a bit rough. I'm actually on the fence as to preferring ISO 1600 out of my dSLR to colour ISO 1600 film.

Sorry if that sounds a bit negative, but if you're going to publish, it is worth getting it right. (That sounds even worse, it's not meant antagonistically, but more a case of updating your information).

11. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Thanks for correcting me! I've updated some of the phrasing in that post, so it should be a little more accurate now. Constructive criticism is more than welcome, so thank you.

12. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

13. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

That's what I was thinking all the time - all these year-long format wars were really about nothing - except the industry hurting itself because most consumers decided to wait for a winner before investing in a new system. And now that only BlueRay survived, HD downloads are the next big thing.

Well. I feel flattered... :)
    I think you're on a good way. The good thing of a blog like yours is that you can experiment with different approaches how to explain stuff and see what suits you best.

14. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Thanks! I'm practically begging for people to comment (with notices etc.), but I fear that most people are too lazy to, unless they're WordPress members. I'm pleased, however, because I've been getting over 100 hits per day (238 yesterday). Hopefully enough people like it enough to be repeat visitors.

Thanks again for your feedback - I hope you see a comment from you on the blog soon! :p