Express 34 SSD vs Hybrid Seagate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chazfest, Oct 4, 2010.

1. chazfest macrumors newbie

chazfest

Hi,
    Any advice on the below ExpressCard 34 SSD card for an OSX boot drive on a unibody 2010 MBP?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/24GB-FileMa..._1_cc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1286239296&sr=1-3-catcorr

I'll be running Snow Leopard and would plan to create a partition on my internal to clone the OS and apps on the card just in case something goes wrong.

I've heard (and seen) really good things when people have successfully used these FileMates for boot drives. On the other hand, I've also read about people having issues with sleep/wake functions when booting from ExpressCard SSDs. If it's likely to perfect aside from sleep / wake, considering the speedy load times, I may be willing to take the leap and give the sleep function a miss.
    Too good to be true?

If so, my plan b is the SeaGate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive, 320-500gb with a 4gb flash:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Momentus-7200-1-ST93205620AS-7200Rpm/dp/B003SU30MO/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Both options look good, just not sure if one would turn out better in reality than the other.

I have a 2010 unibody 15" 2.4ghz core i5 with 4gb ram and a 320gb hdd at present. I use it predominantly for video editing, using FCP, Motion, Nuke and Shake mainly.
    As such, I'm interested to improve the setup of my machine by adding an SSD (in express 34 form) or increasing the rpm of the internal to a 7200 (as per the SeaGate). Any ideas which would benefit more?

In my head it makes more sense to go for the SSD as it will relieve the internal hdd from having to deal with running the OS and apps, it can just be used for footage, audio and other media. Not sure if that'll work out in reality though

Quite confused, sorry for the ramblings, if you're still reading - "well done, and thank you!".

Thanks in advance people All advice and tips appreciated
    Chaz

2. wilflare macrumors member

consider this.

change your internal drive to a SSD (perhaps purely as a boot drive, 60GB/80GB may be more than enough. if you want higher capacity, wait for the new Sandforce-based OCZ Onyx2 drives - excellent price/gb ratio)

your current 320GB, get a external firewire800 enclosure to go along with it. use it as a backup disk/scratch disk -put your imovie, FCP etc files on it-

in summary
    Change internal drive to SSD
    Fit 320GB into an external enclosure

you can consider getting both from OWC
    they offer a SOLID SSD and also a nice FW800 enclosure

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I hate to break it to you, but you do not have an express/34 slot. Only SD card. Sorry!

4. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

LOL.

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Beyond the fact that the current 15" MBP doesn't have an express card slot (real Apple shame!) that SSD gets really funky reviews and has a rep for being fragile and failure prone.

If you edit video with your MBP you need an SSD boot drive and second HD in the opti bay. Check my sig .............
    cheers
    JohnG

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL I completely missed that. (not sarcastic)

7. chazfest thread starter macrumors newbie

chazfest

Lol. What a noob (at myself of course) :D
    Thanks for the info guys, the upcoming OCZ SSDs sound very interesting. Anyone have any idea of when they're likely to be released?

The OptiBay concept honestly sounds amazing! Would allow me to buy a more affordable smaller SSD, maybe a 40gb, for the OS and apps (my current apps folder is only 25gb), and leave the library and media to the extra internal.

Anyone know if that would that work? Leaving the library on the internal, and running the os and apps from the SSD?

Also, regarding the SD slot, does that totally write out any options of FileMate type devices? Or are there any that would fit the SD slot on my unibody?

Thanks again :D