Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MSFT

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Just bought a Refurb 2011 Airport Extreme and a "used" (not really) Express 2d gen from someone whose printer was not compatible with it (?).

Installed one in one house and one in the other. Upgrading from old 802.11g Linksys routers.

Each time, it took more time to remove the old routers from the mess of wires than to unbox, plug in, and set up each Airport router. :cool:

That's all. I'm very impressed!

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Just added an N express to extend my N extreme. Was all prepared to go through 2-3 steps per box plus testing. You don't even need the airport software!

Just select the new box in the iOS wifi settings panel and one tap to autoconfigure everything. And the speed, wow!

supaman

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Bought a refurb 5th gen extreme myself, havn't had a chance to take it out of the box but nice to see it will be a quick process.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I recently bought two Airport Express 2nd-gen from the Apple refurb store. I think they were a good deal at $75 each.

I was amazed at how easy they were to configure, replacing an old Belkin 802.11g unit, and adding AirPlay capability. And I'm loving AirPlay from iTunes, now in my living room and bedroom. Where next?

Dasbrook

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Have my Airport Express 'Base Station' wired to the cable modem providing Internet downstairs and the audio port connected to Home theater Receiver. Now I wish to add a Airport Extreme to connect my printer and other devices using LAN ports which is all upstairs. Is this possible to add the Extreme to the primary Express base station by Wifi?

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I just replaced two old g expresses with two of the current models. I was expecting it to be a possibly need to do a wired configuration, but I agree these things are so easy to setup now.

I think the airport expresses are highly underrated and part of that is Apples fault. Need better advertising. I have music outside and upstairs all seamless and easy.

MSFT

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Have my Airport Express 'Base Station' wired to the cable modem providing Internet downstairs and the audio port connected to Home theater Receiver. Now I wish to add a Airport Extreme to connect my printer and other devices using LAN ports which is all upstairs. Is this possible to add the Extreme to the primary Express base station by Wifi?

You should be able to, yes. Just choose that option (I think it is "extend a wireless network") when setting up the second router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.