express and hard drive :( solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by grooveattack, Sep 17, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

hi there
    I am well aware that the express will not support a HDD on its USB plug. but i think this will work? i am not sure so that is why i ask. ( and i am no where near my HDD or network so cant try it )

What i want to do: is hook up a HDD to a express (know this wont work) so everyone in my house can watch the various films and tv shows i have on it with out carting it around to each person one at a time. of course i cant do this with what i have, so....

would this work?: if i just left the HDD attached to my computer and made it a shared drive, would that have the same effect? everyone being able to see it and stream media form it?
    oh and if i did that could i specify what files are shared?

any help good,
    thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

Yes you can do that, see the following page for sharing from OS X
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549

How many people is everybody?
    Keep in mind that if you're using a wireless connection depending on the bitrate of the video, and the quality of your signal, you may at most be able to have 1 or 2 watching something at the same time without problems. also if you have a lot of video going over the wireless, someone else trying to do internet may have issues with speed.
    None of that should be a problem with a wired connection.

3. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

well there will be one wired client and maybe 2/3 wireless. I am not sure if ll the wireless will be 'N', probably 'G' to be honest. they are not high quality movies so we should be ok.