Express card 34 suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hin3sy, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hin3sy macrumors newbie

Hello all. I've been on MRoogle and can't find anything to help me decide, so...

I can't decide between the 15" and 17" and it's pretty much come down to one thing: are there any expresscard 34 card readers that will fit in the 2011 MBP and can read SDXC? I'm going to have this computer for awhile, so I want to make sure this thing can read SDXC. I've found the sonnet card 21 in 1, but I wanted to see if anyone else used any different brands or had any other suggestions. Please help.

2. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Check out macsales.com (OWC)

They've got a couple dozen different ideas for your Exp 34 slot, including card readers.

3. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

The SD card reader in the current MBPs can read SDXC cards so no need for expresscard SDXC card reader.

4. Hin3sy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, if I decide to go with the 17", I need to know what express card readers will work with SDXC...

5. kgallag1 macrumors member

SSD expresscards

One thing I've been wondering about these SSD Expresscards. As I understand it, the Expresscard34 slot is unpowered. Do you need some sort of external or bus power to run an Expresscard34 on a macbook pro? Or will the system power it?
    I was thinking at some point of getting one of these to use as a boot drive for linux and related (I currently use virtual machines).