express card as system disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Holmez, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Holmez macrumors member

Hi,
    i have a 2,4ghz core 2 duo (2009) unibody macbook pro with a 500GB regualr harddrive. I have read a little about SSD harddrives, and performance. My mac have a express card slot. If i buy this express card:
    http://www.multicom.no/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:2447425
    and use it as a system disk and have my software on it, and use my internal harddrive for storage, will i notice any effect on system performance, boot time ect.....?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The read speed is okay, but the internal HDD can give you three times the write speeds (which is important when swapping RAM).

Boot time might be increased, but the read speed is not that fast for a true modern SSD.

I currently have one SSD in my primary HDD slot (Vertex 2 60GB) and even after putting my regular programs onto it, it can boot in less than 30 seconds, though I don't boot that often, as I use the SLEEP feature of my MBP.

I have my old HDD in a FW800 enclosure for 2.5" HDDs and it fully suffices my data storage needs, even though an Optibay solution wold be better.

If you would go the SSD route, including the Optibay for the 500GB HDD, you would come up at around 200€ (1,600 NKr), if you choose a smaller 40GB SSD.

3. seydurin macrumors member

4. Holmez thread starter macrumors member

thanx for the advice :) or are there any express card ssd thats as fast as regular ssd ?

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a