Express card port gone on MBP 15 inch

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Uptospeed, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Uptospeed macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I had a MacBook Pro 17 inch monitor with an express card port. I used an esata II 300 adapter for high speed transfer of digital audio. Unfortunately, I had to swap out that computer for a 15 inch monitor Macbook Pro which doesn't have an express card port. Does anyone know I can get the high speed data transfer functionality back on my 15 inch computer using another device/adapter/port/accessory -- workaround?

Uptospeed

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

In short, you can't. You'll need to use an adapter to either USB or Firewire (or depending on how new your MBP is, Thunderbolt).

3. Uptospeed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt

Thanks for your comments.

I have a new MBP (15 inch), which has Thunderbolt. But Thunderbolt connector cables and HDs that support that technology are hard to come by right now. Cables ship from Apple in 2-3 weeks and a LaCie Little Big (Thunderbolt) external HD apparently is not on the market yet, although it is expected to be this summer.

There is, apparently, a card slot on my MBP but the slot is too small (narrow)for an express card like the esata I mentioned?! Not sure what the slot is for....

OTS

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

SD card slot.

Right now TB is too new of a technology. I'd give it time. There may even be TB to eSATA connectors in the future? If there is a USB or Firewire connector on your external, I'd use that for now and hopefully something comes out soon that'll suit your needs.

5. Nightex macrumors member

The 15" had it's express card slot replaced with an almost useless SDXC card reader (used for camera memory mostly).
    I am told this is because the Express Card 34 slots on the 15" unibodies were plagued with problems.
    I am desperate for a thunderbolt to firewire converter myself and I'm interested where did you get this info?