Express Card Reader prevents sleep???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReplayMan, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ReplayMan macrumors newbie

Anyone have a new Unibody MB with a Express Card Reader?

I have searched the forum a bit with this problem with no solution.

I have new Unibody MBPro and just purchased a TrendNet All-In-One Express Card Reader. I have read others leave this in 24/7, but believe they have older models. With the new unibody...at least mine...this causes my MBPro to constantly cycle on and off, preventing it from going to sleep.

Could there be a setting to fix this? Or possibly my particular brand card, since others have not complained.

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

The reason why your Express Card Reader prevents sleep is because maybe you are transferring a file from another hard drive with it or downloading/uploading something wirelessly.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Occasionally my MBP doesn't sleep. I never figured out why, but now I'll see if the express card slot is in use.. and report back if I remember to :p

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I have the sandisk one and it works fine.

Prior to purchasing it i read that certain reader did have problems. Make sure you have the latest apple updates too.

5. ReplayMan thread starter macrumors newbie

But, do you have a new unibody macbook?

6. alexgb macrumors newbie

Same problem with Unibody MacbookPro and Express Card Reader

I troubleshooted it with Apple tech and they confirmed that this is the problem of the device. Once reader is out, there is not problem with sleep. When reader is in, MacbookPro cycles constantly to sleep and awake. This is frustrating. Not only MacbookPro missing integrated card reader, but it also doesn't function properly with express slot card reader. I wonder if there is a work around or software update. Or at least if there are other express card readers that work for sure with unibody MBP without sleep probem.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

For my MBP at least, it sleeps whether my card reader is in there or not.. must be something different (unless it doesn't sleep when there's a card in the card reader... hmmm... I'll have to check that later)

To clarify: I don't have a unibody MBP, but it does have trouble sleeping sometimes.

8. alexgb macrumors newbie

Mine is MacbookPro unibody and it doesn't sleep even when THERE IS NO CARD in the reader. My card reader is not from SanDisk though. I read that Sandisk card reader (SDAD109A11) does let unibodies to sleep. I guess I will just trough away my current reader and will try Snadisk. I will let your guys know if that works once I get it.

9. ReplayMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I ordered the Sandisk and will also report back with my results.

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

yes, it's a unibody. And it sleeps fine... so far.

11. bthom70 macrumors member

I have the same problem with a non-powered usb hub I use for an external keyboard and usb speakers and flash drive.

I'm hoping to find a fix rather than constant plug-unplug.

12. Skystar macrumors 6502

This generic 12in1 express card reader I got off eBay does allow my new Unibody MBP to sleep, I just tested it a few times in a row before posting this. This was without an actual memory card installed though.

13. rhyx macrumors 6502

I've had a similar issue with memory card readers. I just drop them in my laptop bag when not in use. However I would love to leave it in the expresscard slot if we can find a workaround.

14. ReplayMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, nippyjun has one and it sleeps fine in a unibody. So, I think the only work around...is buy the ones that don't prevent sleep mode. And, to make it clear...this is a problem without a card inserted. Just a reader living in the express slot.

15. ReplayMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Just realized something odd....with the same express card inserted, that prevents my unibody MBpro to sleep. Went to sleep w/o interruption when the lid was open....weird. It's only when the lid is closed! That it cycles on and off.

16. rhyx macrumors 6502

Interesting. I always close the lid to make mine sleep (without a card reader in it).

What happens if it goes to sleep with the lid open? Then you close the lid. Does it wake up again?

17. ReplayMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it does. If I leave the lid open...sleeps like a baby. If I close it while sleeping...within 30sec. I see the Apple logo light up.

18. alexgb macrumors newbie

Sandisk card reader works!!!

OK, just got the Sandisk Card Reader and it works perfectly now. With lid open or closed, my unibody sleeps and doesn't wake up, unless I wake it up intentionally. Got mine for about $21 for new sealed item. By the way, not related to this thread: I had iSkin keyboard protector. I got Moshi protector and it is SO MUCh better: day and night. So thin and so clear. Great protector. Hope all this helps.:)

19. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I'm glad that your sandisk works for you as well.

20. kurenaiz macrumors member

my Unibody MBP never sleep with the lid open after i update to 10.5.6

never find out why

21. ReplayMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Confirmed...the Sandisk allows the unibody mbpro to sleep. Anyone want to buy my Trendnet all-in-one reader?