Express Card SATA II - SSD when will it arrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shigzeo, Feb 18, 2008.

1. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

I have been waiting for a long time to be able to just pop in a a fast ssd drive rather than replacing a hd in my computer. Transcend and what one other company have come out with complete half jobs that are just slow flash drives. I want to install leapard on the SSD and use my hd as a portable multi media drive. when oh when will this come out. Today's news of samsung's SATA II drive got me hoping to hear about a nice slip in and out drive.

Anyone else hoping for this?

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yes, that would be phenomenally terrific. Even a 32GB that you could install Leopard and, say, Office and Photoshop with all your documents and settings on. Then, if you were near an Apple Store and needed to work on something for a bit, you could slide the little card out of your pocket, boot from it, work, and pop it out when you were done!

I think that'll come in 6-8 months.

3. shigzeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

well i do hope soon - one of the reasons i bought the mbp over the mb was that i could do this - however all that seems available now are those ghastly transcends. i would love to have 64gb and in 6-8 months, if it performs well, i would pay for it - quite well for it but id rather pay less.

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

You know, it'd also be a viable alternative to a HDD for older laptops with PCMCIA. Like, you could stick it in a powerbook g3 or peecee and be rocking 64GB, a lot cheaper than an expresscard with the same capacity, cause PCMCIA cards are way way bigger.

5. shigzeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

hows about you and i become we and get into business selling what this industry has somehow forgotten?