Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Not that it wouldn't work, but keep in mind that the speed of this product is the 250MB/s, which is PCIe x1. Most video cards require PCIe x16, at least that's what the specs say. I've seen tests of x16 cards using fewer lanes out there.

Er... Take it you didn't read it's notes?

Oh I know. It's a x1 lane PCIe slot effectively. It would work, but wouldn't be as fast as being in x16 lane PCIe slot of course.

But it would give you a good way to 'test' your macbook to verify the graphics are dead. I bet if you went into the system profiler with one of the systems with a dead 8600, it wouldn't even show the onboard graphics at all.

Bhoy, you guys are really hopefuls!!

Sooooo.. Anyway...
how many MacBookPro's are 2.33Ghz with 8600M GT?

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Er... Take it you didn't read it's notes?

Bhoy, you guys are really hopefuls!!

Sooooo.. Anyway...
how many MacBookPro's are 2.33Ghz with 8600M GT?

Yeah I read the notes. They say it only works with the 2.33ghz model. They also say it only works with the 7300GT. They make no mention of the 8800GT which is also a single slot solution. Maybe they haven't updated their tests/notes to say it would also work with the newer SR MBP's just like they make no mention of the 8800GT.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Neo have you used this solution or know anyone who has? I will inquire to the company tommorow to see my options. If I can stuff a dual head quadro in there I will be purchasing one along with some new monitors. Their expressbox4 solution looks pretty professional and should accomodate pretty much anything.

Finally. True Quad Screen computing from one Macbook Pro :D Hopefully it isn't vapourware

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
Guys ! You completely forgot that
the Express Card Slot Sucks and falls out at
the slightest touch or breathing on it !

And people who don't have experience using the new Express Cards,
please don't comment !

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Guys ! You completely forgot that
the Express Card Slot Sucks and falls out at
the slightest touch or breathing on it !

And people who don't have experience using the new Express Cards,
please don't comment !

Mine's fine!!

n57bh_n90aL.jpg

Get some Gaffer-Tape and be happy! Jeez...:rolleyes:

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I have an SSD in mine, which i even boot from sometimes, and no issues whatsoever, it sits flush with the computer so looks sexy, is ultra nippy, and works like a charm :) I guess it completely depends what your using it for, and what quality the express card is your using.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Here you go.

it probably depends on which card you're using.

Attachments

• pci.jpg
    pci.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 77

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hi Ultra NEO,

Have you ever used the ExpressCard slots at all ?
It doesn't seem like it !

Yeah I use them to read the CF card. If you wanna know what I use, go search the forums. I've posted photos of my card a long, long, long time ago. So many people asks about the Expresscard, your not the first and you won't be the last. I don't have any issues with it being "loose". Though I do have issues with it connecting at times...

mumstead

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2008
Xilni
My esata express card looks exactly the same in system profiler as the one in e12a's screenshot. It was $17 at Newegg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.