express card woes...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tws, Jan 5, 2009.

1. tws macrumors newbie

folks,

just a moment of your time pls.

perhaps another has solved this problem.

i recently ordered and received this sataII express card.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/EXP34SATA2P1/

this card is advertised to work without drivers on my 17" macbook pro 2.33GHz Intel core 2 duo - plug and play.

however, when i put the express card into my macbook pro it crashed... a gray screen came up and said (in three languages) that i had to restart the computer - hold down the start button for several seconds... this happened twice.

i've never used the express card slot before and am not certain if i can just put the sataII card in without it being attached to a drive (the 1 tb drive is in transit to me)

there is diddly squat tech info that came with the card. one would think that inserting the card would lead to some kind of acknowledgement that it is present in the apple os x.... but instead it crashed twice.

i contacted OWC but they have so far been very unforthcoming tech wise... they will produce a RMA no. so i can return it but don't seem to care whether it works or not.. the tech merely repeated what the nomenclature said about the card and said it may be faulty and they would replace it.

does anyone know about these sataII express cards?

any help would be appreciated.

tws

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Does sound like something may be faulty or corrupted, I've got a similar ( jmicron based ) card, and it works just fine plug and play with no extra drivers on my first gen and latest gen MBP in os x. works fine on the old gen in windows too, but no end of issues on current gen.. but they seem to be apples fault, not the cards.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Have you tried inserting the express card and then turning on your computer?

4. tws thread starter macrumors newbie

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839200006

just bought this card and Im amazed. It offers 2 ports for both my external 1.5TB drives. Transferring from drive to drive averages OVER 100MB/s, insane!

transfering from internal to external, or other way, i get about 75-80MB/s

all with the drivers off the CD.

ANyways, my point... I like that you found a single port card, but it may be well worth it to buy a 2 port card for future expansion.

There is nothing like moving 200GB across HDs just for the heck of it, in under 30 minutes!

I have had some issues with some drivers I downloaded from the web. I ended up using the older ones from the CD, and havent had one kernel panic. The only issue I have is the card has to be powered off before removed, which I guess is normal.

Lastly, you should be able to boot from that card you have there. Mine is not bootable, but still ok with me. Just my personal experience this week. Wanted to share the word.

6. tws thread starter macrumors newbie

well this one still doesn't work inserted then booted up... nothing happened until i removed it than i got the restart screen...

if i can go to the local apple center i will see if i can get them to insert one of theirs to see if it's the laptop or the card...

no standards no joy...:confused:

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I bet its the card, it looks pretty cheap to be honest, you shouldnt try to skimp on your apple accessories, its a shame apple dont make a device like this.