Express/Extreme/MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by escapenet, Oct 24, 2010.

1. escapenet macrumors newbie

so im in the market for a new computer after years of not having one (my toshiba labtop needed a new hard drive after 3 months and gave the blue screen of death for a month before it finally died the very last week before college ended (4 years). ive been using my parents computer since then (3.5 years) because depression = no real job towards what i went to school for = no apartment = no need to get my own computer.

so my parents computer sucks and i would like a mac. the only thing that throws me off sometimes is the price. my two choices for a computer are the low level 13 pro and low level 15 pro...which im not sure on the smaller screen. i also need at least a frame rate of at least 60

also...another question about the airports. they look the same. what is the difference, if any? also, do you even need one? after all, the internet providers gives you a modem when you buy internet access from them.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

You need a frame rate of 60 in what? What will your uses be? As for screen size, you'll need to see them in person to decide which fits your needs better.

The airport express is wireless only. It offers AirTunes, which allows you to plug speakers into the device and stream iTunes music from any computer on the network. Similarly, you can plug a USB printer in and share that.

The extreme is a more full-fledged router, offering four ethernet ports, wireless, and a USB port for printer or hard drive (as a simple NAS). Time Capsule is essentially an extreme with a hard drive built in making wireless Time Machine backups very simple.

3. escapenet thread starter macrumors newbie

My lumix camera requires a frame rate of 60 to play back/edit on a computer. Im not a techie so my uses will be normal. Internet, office, some video and photo editing, video watching.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

That sounds more like a camera requirement than a computer one, but I'm not sure. It sounds like the 13" inch should suffice, but screen size is a very important component. Definitely check it out yourself and see if it's going to be big enough. If you can swing it, the 15" would be great and last you a while. I can't really comment on that camera requirement though. Try asking and reading around on the MBP forum.