Express LAN port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tildesley, Nov 25, 2012.

1. tildesley macrumors regular

hi, i own an airport express (not the new version), it only has 1 lan port of course, could i have more lan ports if i connected a wired router to it?

2. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

It depends what you want to do with the Ethernet port.

When you use the AE as a Router, then the Ethernet port becomes the WAN port (i.e. connect it to a Modem or another Router - the E port is isolated from the WiFi "port" by the AE's NAT).

If you just want to bridge networks and just connect the AEs WiFi to another network (no NAT operating), then you can connect a switch or a Router to the AE's E port.

This restriction is probably why the new versions have 2 E ports.

4. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

I'm currently using it to extend my airport extreme network; it currently has the LAN port used to connect my TV/Cable box and works brilliantly doing that, I want to connect another LAN cable now without having to unplug & replug every time I wanna do something.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Then I think you have a problem with that AE IMO. What you could do is to connect a WiFi Access Point (with an E port) and link into the AE by WiFi - or you could just buy a new AE and resell the old (probably cheaper and better/easier).

I had 3 old AEs, sold each of them for 50 and bought new ones for 80 each.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just add a switch like this.

So you will have...

AE---ethernet cable--->switch====multiple ethernet cables===>devices

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Maybe I didn't read your question carefully enough.

Is the AE in Bridge mode or Router mode ? Does the TV/Cable box get its data from the AE WiFi - if so then you can put a switch between them. Where's the Internet connection located ?