Express or Extreme, for internet usage only

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DJ88, Feb 7, 2008.

1. DJ88 macrumors regular

If all I'm going to do with my wifi signal is surf the web and ocasionally print, Is there a need for 802.11n? My broadband on my computer gets up to 700kbps during downloads at it's fastest. Will 802.11n amplify that speed alot more than 802.11g? Or will it simply be 700kbps regardless if I use g or n.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nothing amplifies speed. You start with your wired 700 and it's all downhill from there as each device adds its slow downs.

3. DJ88 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I thought. So if all i'll be using is internet then there is no point in getting the extreme 802.11n, I should just get the express?

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I believe 802.11n offers a bit better range then 802.11g, so even if you don't need the speed, you might find a more stable connection and more "roaming room" around the house.

Also, I believe the Express only has 10/100Mbps RJ-45 ports where as the Extreme supports 10/100/1000Mbps. Now, if you only use wireless connections, it doesn't matter. But I do prefer to wire my Macs and MacBooks together for file transfers and having Gigabit Ethernet routers/hubs makes that process quicker.

So you may wish to take either into account.

5. DJ88 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I live in a small apartment and I wont be needing it to transfer files from more computer to computer so I'm good :)

Airport express it is.

One more question though haha. Will the music streaming only work with itunes? or will my computer stream any music that any program plays. Like lets say if I wanted to use Logic Pro on my Macbook Pro and have all the music I make stream wirelessly to my sound system, would that be possible?

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Officially the streaming will only work with iTunes, but there is always Airfoil.

7. DJ88 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats is awesome! I can't wait any longer for that damn macbook pro update. Atleast I have time to save up for all my new toys :D

8. Sunnzy macrumors regular

Since the OP lives in a small apartment, smaller range is probably better, even when you have security properly set up, it is still better to have less people to tinker with your wireless connection.