Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildbill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
I own a townhouse, and I want to set up a new network in my home. My plan is to use the Extreme as the router where cable modem is attached on the main floor and then set up a bridge on the 2nd floor to make sure I get full coverage to all the bedrooms. I need to have a strong signal on the 2nd floor because of all the other signals around my neighborhood, plus I am thinking of setting up an Apple TV in one of the bedrooms where I won't be able to run a ethernet cable to. I know many of my issues with the neighbors wireless signals will get better once I switch to N only, but my question is would the signal strength be just as good using an Express (n) upstairs as the bridge, or would it be beneficial to get another Extreme up there?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I have a townhouse, but I guess it depends on if yours is wider or taller.

I just use a Netgear g router in the basement and the AppleTV upstairs on the second floor is just fine. Wireless coverage for laptops and a PC on the second floor is great. The Netgear router does have an antenna on it.

You may want to go in steps, see if the Extreme works fine by itself - maybe get an external antenna for it and go from there...

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'm using an Extreme on my second floor to share network to the basement (connected a PS3 in the theater via the ethernet port on the Express with wireless N) It gets great reception down there. Even before adding the express, I used to use my MBP in the basement all the time without any signal issues. You probably don't need to worry about extending the network at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.