Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Well, the unthinkable happened. After going caseless on every iPhone since the 1st generation, my iPhone 14 Pro took a tumble out of the pocket of my gym shorts onto my concrete driveway while getting out of my car on Saturday afternoon. My track record has been great up to this point with my iPhones over the last 16 years. My screen is cracked in the bottom right between the antenna bands and the stainless is pretty beat up. I pulled up the Apple Support app, and it gave me the option of the $29 screen replacement in-store (1 hour drive), or a $99 express replacement device. I went ahead with the ERS order on Saturday afternoon.

My question is for those of you who have done express replacements in the past. How long has shipping normally taken? It’s now Tuesday morning, and I have no shipment status in the Apple Support app (“ordered“ status), and no tracking information in my FedEx or UPS apps. Also, how was your experience with the process overall? They’ve charged my card with the authorization hold (actually occurred within minutes of the order on Saturday), and so I’m just waiting on shipping. Any issues with the return process or gotchas I should be aware of? Thanks in advance!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
In my experience, ERS has been pretty seamless process. I’ve replaced various AW’s, iPad’s and one iPhone over the years. Typically, it’s takes about 1-2 business days to receive shipping confirmation that the replacement product has been shipped. I’m fortunate enough that I live in an area near one of Apple’s shipping centers, so I usually get the replacement product the next day after it ships.

You’ll use the box you received your replacement product in to send the damaged product back. To be on the safe side, I usually photograph the damaged product in the shipping box and then the packing slip in case there is any issues once Apple receives the return (for the record, I have not had any issues with them receiving the original product back to them).

That said, once the damaged product is received and looked at, Apple will release the hold on your CC and you’ll only see the $99 charge.

Reactions: darinzook

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’m also nowhere near a store, so Express Replacement has been used a few times over the years. It’s really quite smooth, I’ve never encountered an issue. I think they say “3-5 business days” on the replacement but I’ve never seen it take that long myself.

Reactions: max2 and darinzook

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like I made the right decision.

The replacement iPhone shipped yesterday via FedEx standard overnight, and is expected to be delivered today.

Lilydgg

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I've used the express replacement a few times over the years but the last time I did was a headache. Make sure you watch the tracking of your damaged device and that your device is in fact received by Apple. I sent a watch back that was signed for but Apple claimed the box was empty and charged me the full price. After a week of "investigating" they refunded me as a "one time courtesy". If you have an apple store nearby to send it from, you should probably do it that way.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I've used the express replacement a few times over the years but the last time I did was a headache. Make sure you watch the tracking of your damaged device and that your device is in fact received by Apple. I sent a watch back that was signed for but Apple claimed the box was empty and charged me the full price. After a week of "investigating" they refunded me as a "one time courtesy". If you have an apple store nearby to send it from, you should probably do it that way.
Issues can happen with the device “Hold.” It’s fairly uncommon but certainly not impossible. Best defense is absolutely DO NOT use a “Debit” card for the hold, use a credit card.

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
To close the loop on this - device arrived on Wednesday, Jun 7, via FedEx. After updating the replacement phone to 16.5, I went through my restore and had no issues. The only problem I had was with my carrier activation (shocking). The eSIM didn't transfer from the old phone to the new phone, so I had to spend 55 minutes on the phone with carrier support troubleshooting that. Ultimately, they created a new line with the new IMEI, ported my number, and deactivated the old one. No idea why the eSIM transfer didn't work, and they weren't sure either—such a dumb process. I wish Apple would just become their own MVNO already.

I returned the old device Thursday morning, and the authorization hold fell off my card when the phone was received and processed on Tuesday morning (6/13). All in, the process took 11 calendar days, 7 business days from start to finish. The part I was most impatient about was waiting on the replacement device, which took 3 business days. Because I broke my phone on a Saturday, this was 5 days in total. Either way, I'll gladly take this over a 1-hour trip to the Apple store, and essentially the same amount (or less) of cash spent (between gas, a stop at Starbucks, and likely food of some sort while I'd wait, not to mention what else i'd be shopping for while I wait...).

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I’m also nowhere near a store, so Express Replacement has been used a few times over the years. It’s really quite smooth, I’ve never encountered an issue. I think they say “3-5 business days” on the replacement but I’ve never seen it take that long myself.
I wait the 4th business day now. Nothing shipped yet.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
It is world-wide if you have AC+ in your country. I am using it for years here in Europe.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I had my 13 Pro replaced under AC+ with the ERS here in Sweden and it took two days for the replacement phone to arrive. Really great service, my first use of AC ever.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Do you have to meet a certain requirement to use express shipping? For instance if i select front broken glass express replacement shipping does not appear but if i choose broken back glass express replacement shipping appears.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Do you have to meet a certain requirement to use express shipping? For instance if i select front broken glass express replacement shipping does not appear but if i choose broken back glass express replacement shipping appears.

I believe Apple changed the criteria in the support app to qualify for ERS. It used to be that if you had a cracked front screen you could get ERS. Now you can only schedule an appointment to have the front glass fixed instead. If the back is shattered, that is a different story as you can get ERS — I used it with my 14 Pro when I dropped it and shattered the back.

Reactions: nwlondonlad

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I believe Apple changed the criteria in the support app to qualify for ERS. It used to be that if you had a cracked front screen you could get ERS. Now you can only schedule an appointment to have the front glass fixed instead. If the back is shattered, that is a different story as you can get ERS — I used it with my 14 Pro when I dropped it and shattered the back.
They ask, and the deductible is lower, but you can always get ERS if you request it. It’s in the insurance information too.

Reactions: Toepoe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.