Express without modem as extender to new Extreme base station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by michial, Feb 8, 2014.

1. michial macrumors 6502

michial

I am wondering if it will improve wifi if I buy an Express as an extender to my new Extreme. I have a new Extreme plugged into my modem downstairs but upstairs doesn't get good wifi. I live in a 2500sf house.

If an Express will increase range do I need a second modem to hook the Express into or can I just plug it into a wall power outlet upstairs?

Thanks for the help.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, you can extend the WiFi of the first AE with a second AE.
    You don't need a modem.
    You have two choices :
    1. Extend the first AE's WiFi by connecting the second AE by WiFi to the first.
    2. Run a LAN between the first AE and the second AE and create a roaming network. Any WiFi connection to the second AE will be relayed by the LAN back to the first AE. You can use a Poweline connection between the two AEs if you have no LAN cables available.

If you just want to power up the second AE by plugging it into a socket direct then you will be doing option (1) above. Airport Utility will guide you through setup to use the right settings.

3. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

Thanks. I have to go with option 1. Will it diminish the current wifi signal I have running off the Extreme or will the Express just extend the signal upstairs where I put it?

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

The Express will have no effect on the signal from the Extreme, but will give you a higher signal upstairs. It will halve the overall data rate however as the data is sent backwards and forewords, but in your case it might actually end up as a faster data rate. (Since data rate is dependent on WiFi signal strength anyway).

You might also check where the crossover point is in coverage location by seeing where devices switch from the Extreme to the Express. This might help you with choosing the location of the Express.