Expresscard 3/4 USB 3.0 or eSATA for Macbook Pro 17" mid-2009?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dpandri, Jul 9, 2017.

?

Which Expresscard 3/4 adaptor for my Macbook Pro 17" mid-2009?

1. USB 3.0

83.3%
  2. eSATA

16.7%
  1. dpandri macrumors newbie

dpandri

Hi guys, I am thinking of adding higher speed external port for my old Macbook Pro 17" mid-2009 (MacbookPro 5,2).

Which one will you recommend the most, Expresscard 3/4 USB 3.0? Or Expresscard eSATA?

I knew that USB 3.0 is theoritically transferring data at a higher bit rate, but I am not too sure if the Expresscard 34 slot will be able to achieve USB 3.0's speed.

Please help me! Thanks alot!

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I use the Expresscard 3/4 USB 3.0 on my machine (you and I have the same model). Mine works great and is very fast but I've never conducted read/write tests to see the numbers. I've never had any problems using it either.

3. dpandri thread starter macrumors newbie

dpandri

Thanks alot for your reply Baypharm, its really assuring to know that it works on our machine!

May I know the brand name of your expresscard? Did you need to install any driver at all? And which macOs version are you using it on?

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Is the primary intent to use this expansion upgrade for secondary storage? If so, will it involve external SSDs? (I ask because while I love the flexibility of USB, I've become a huge fan of eSATA for external SATA storage and strongly prefer it over USB, personally.)

5. dpandri thread starter macrumors newbie

dpandri

Yes, it is intended for fast speed access of external storage read & write. I only had an external SSD that I barely use, and an externalHDD & external card reader both equipped with USB 3.0 that I am using daily for my multimedia work.

The built-in USB 2.0 of the Macbook Pro is seriously outdated and drag down my workflow by a whole lot. I've maxed out the RAM this Macbook can hold (8GB) and upgraded the primary drive from HDD to SSD. I am honestly in awe of the speed I can get from this old beast with all my works, everything are working fast except the access to external device and storages, hence my reason of wanting to add USB3.0 / eSATA ports through the expresscard slot.

Does choosing eSATA port through expresscard slot has a greater advantage over USB3.0 through expresscard? Would love to hear from your opinion, ZapNZs

6. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Could you tell about which card you are using.
    I currently went for a promising USB-card which finally didn't work on my MBP15" 2008/ElCap.

7. killawat macrumors 65816

Look for something with the fl1100 fresco logic chipset. I'd tell you which one I have but I know you won't be able to find it; pickings are slim these days for obvious reasons. Like the amazon links don't even work any more.