ExpressCard/34 slot adapter for 13" MBP mid 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGOOGLE, Feb 11, 2012.

1. iGOOGLE macrumors member

I'm buying a new video card capture that must be plugged in an exprescard/34 slot. Does anyone have an idea where to find best adapter for that?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You are correct, only the 17" has the larger express slot, all others have SD readers....I have the 17" and bought a 21 in 1 express reader for it a while back.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have a 15in MBP that has an express card slot. I researched it but never purchased one yet. You can check Macworld. They have a few reviews on them.

The only company I can think of is Sonnet Tech (like SDAVE said)

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/macbookaccessories/index.html

et al remember Apple still sells these Macs in their Refurb section. I purchased mine 2yrs ago.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sonnet make great readers...I have one and it's fast and reliable. The 21 in 1 is the one to go for, eats everything.

6. iGOOGLE, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

Check out this video. Don't care about the language just watch it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cgjbVj7QSk&feature=fvst

Easiest way to capture. No need to a tv. You can play and capture through one cable (HDMI) from PS3 to a laptop on Windows and thats it.

So do I have to buy the first link you gave me?

7. SDAVE, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

That's the point, you don't have an ExpressCard slot if you have the 2011 MBP.

Your best bet is to get the Thunderbolt capture card from Blackmagic. You don't need a TV to use it, it has it's own easy to use capturing application that you can use under OS X and see what you're capturing through HDMI. It will also work with FCP, Premiere, etc...I think it's a good deal as you can edit your home movies on it and watch the edit happen on an external monitor...also capture old materials and make DVD's out of them, capture games through HDMI from PS3's, etc.

I am sure there are other USB2.0 capture cards out there, much cheaper than the Blackmagic card. But I think the highest USB 2.0 capture devices will go is 1080i.

The blackmagic card does 1080p.

P.S. Beware of DRM on HDMI signals. You might not be able to capture games from a PS3. Blu-ray movies, you definitely can't capture. Games, I think you will be fine.

8. iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

I have some questions:
    1. Does it need a power source?
    2. is the quality like I'm playing on HDTV?
    3. does it lag or I can play on my laptop screen?
    4. What and how many wires do I need to capture?
    5. Does the thunderbolt cable come with it or I have to buy?

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

1. No, if you read the specs, it is self powered via Thunderbolt.
    2. It is. You can capture Uncompressed (takes lots of space, but it's the highest quality available) or MJPEG (Smaller sizes, but good quality). You can convert these to H264 for easier delivery and erase the original files. Note that you might need to get an external FW800 drive to capture Full HD (1080p). 720p should be ok with the internal drive using MJPEG.
    3. No. It will be fine on your laptop as it's fairly recent.
    4. Just 1x Thunderbolt cable ($50 at Apple store) and 1x HDMI cable (cheap from Monoprice.com (A few dollars), or use the one you already have).
    5. See number 4.

All this information is available on the Blackmagic site. I have the Intensity Pro (the internal one) in my Mac Pro and it's a very nice little card. Quality is great.

Also it seems that their site says it will be available Q1 2012...
    But it seems that the other card, Intensity Extreme is also Q1 2012, which means it should be here very soon.

10. iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

What do you recommend me to get? Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt™ or Intensity Extreme ? and what is the difference? I see the extreme is smaller and much nicer.

P.S. Intensity Extreme came out. I've found it in google shopping.

11. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Seems like the Intensity Extreme just looks slicker and is smaller and uses a breakout cable for analog inputs, instead of having them onboard like the Shuttle. Also looking at the specs, they are both very similar, just the extreme supports less audio channels and a few less video formats than the Shuttle.

Go for the Extreme, you'll be fine. Blackmagic is a solid company. :)

P.S. Typically you can get away with capturing on the internal drive if it's the 7200RPM drive...but I highly recommend you get an external self powered FW800 drive so you can capture straight to it. MJPEG files in HD are very big, and I am not too sure if you can actually capture Uncompressed 1080p on FW800. Those files are about 500MB/second. That's A LOT of data. 1080p MJPEG will probably be doable with an external hard drive (Not a USB 2.0). You can probably put in a large 7200RPM drive so you don't have to lug around an external drive. I think the largest is 750GB. Beware that there are 9mm and 12mm laptop drives. I believe the 13" only supports the 9mm.

If you want to not have issues at all capturing, you should look elsewhere that captures to H264 1080p, but these devices are generally more costly because they need to have onboard H264 encoders, which are fairly expensive.

Also you could probably get this which lets you capture and play on your big screen LCD at the same time.

12. iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

So far I'm planning to buy Intensity Extreme and FW800 500GB to play and capture. Would that be great?

Additional question: Is it very easy to use as a beginner?

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yes, that should be fine. Make sure your 500GB drive has a 7200RPM HD in it. FW800 can push around 75MB/sec which is not bad. You definitely will not be able to do uncompressed, either in 720p or 1080p with these. Maybe in the future you can get an SSD or RAID 0 over a thunderbolt drive (daisy chain the Intensity Extreme and the drive).

Check this chart out for data rates. Note that you'll be doing 8bit capturing.

Doing a quick google search, here's a test capture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4lTL1B8-8A (view at 720p)

In the description it says:

So if we divide 539/31, we get 17MB/sec, which is good enough for your external drive, and for sure your internal. This is for MJPEG compression.

Another video. (check the description)

Remember, though, HDMI has copy protection and you might need to capture using a component cable going from DVI to Component.

Using is not extremely hard, but you should read up on things and just do your research on capturing games. Also you need to probably edit these clips (ie remove game menus, shorten lengths etc) and you will definitely need Premiere Pro or FCP. (or FCP Express). Not sure if iMovie will support these files.

Good luck!

14. iGOOGLE, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean I won't be able to capture via HDMI?? What do you mean by copy protection?

Some other questions:
    1. can I make the screen full on laptop to play like HDTV while recording?
    2. When will Intensity Extreme release?
    3. why does it have two HDMI port?

BTW, the quality is so great in the first link but not in the second because it was via component cables as described. So I won't buy it if I won't be able to record via HDMI as I understand form you

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Everything I know about this is through google, that means you can too.

Just spend some time looking around. Capturing HD is not easy, even by todays standards.

The PS3 HDMI output is copy protected. Sony is pretty much an anti-piracy magnet when it comes to protecting the film/entertainment industry.

I can guarantee that you cannot capture Blu-ray movies via HDMI from a PS3, but I am not too sure if games are copy protected from the HDMI output. For that you should search online.

It does not matter which capture card you get (The Intensity is the cheapest that I've seen), copy protection on HDMI is still there.

Others use Component because analog signals cannot carry copy protection like HDMI does (because it's digital).

Also your 3 questions can be answered by looking at the Intensity page.

A quick google search came up with this first hit.

So the bottom line is...the intensity shuttle (because it does component...with the extreme you have to get the dongle, which costs more I think) is good for your PS3. You cannot capture Blu-ray movies through HDMI. You might be able to capture gameplay on the PS3, depending if the game has anti-piracy embedded in the gameplay.

A guaranteed way to capture movies and gameplay from a ps3 would be to capture through component as it does not carry a copy protection scheme. However, remember that you will be limited to 720p60 and 1080i signals. Your best bet is to just get the Intensity Extreme and try to capture gameplay through HDMI. If it doesn't work it's because Sony is a terrible company that's trying to protect itself by not allowing you to record via HDMI. Worst case scenario you can just use component to capture.

And finally, here is a thread that you can read regarding HDMI capturing from a PS3:
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-de...gen-console-hdmi-video-capture-intensity.html

And another one:
    http://community.justin.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=3084

I am pretty much doing all the research for you....:eek:

16. iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate your working. It helped me a lot thanks :)
    I've found a link showing how to record PS3 over HDMI with Intensity Pro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4BkAzkCV8

17. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Nice :)

See, there is a solution out there.

Glad to have been of help!

Enjoy your capturing fun!

Also you might be interested in editing your videos. It's a fun journey :)
    Download the Premiere Pro trial and have fun. FCP is good too, but a little more complicated...well both are fairly complicated, but for simple stuff, it should be a few days worth of YouTubing some tutorials.

18. iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

But I wonder how did the guy capture using only HDMI here lol comfusing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cgjbVj7QSk
    Test:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrOq-2BO0og&list=UU_LUg-BI7Hc9jxLyeiGEkbA&index=6&feature=plcp
    Product:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250992691437?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    http://timeleak.com.cn/en/

19. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

13" hold all drives 9-12.5 just like every other Apple portable

20. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Xbox will work, it's not as protected as the PS3 through HDMI (from reading other posts).

I think this is an area where you just have to do the HDMI > DVI thing and get it over with :)

21. iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

Do you think this process will work to capture with audio:

PS3 >> male HDMI to male HDMI cable >> female HDMI to male DVI adapter >> female DVI to female HDMI adapter >> male HDMI to male HDMI cable >> Blackmagic Intensity Extreme

The guy in youtube use a powered DVI-HDMI convertor and two digital optical audio cable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4BkAzkCV8

22. keantan macrumors regular

Probably not as DVI IIRC does not support audio.