ExpressCard/34 slot and USB 3.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JGuez, Sep 29, 2010.

1. JGuez macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that if you have the 17" Macbook Pro which has a ExpressCard/34 slot, you can buy an add on and voila you now have USB 3.0 capabilities.

If the above is true, I was wondering what the people on this board think the odds are that Apple adds a ExpressCard/34 slot to the 15" Macbook Pro assuming they do a refresh this fall?

I have a 5 year old white macbook that runs great, but it's time for me to get a new computer, preferably soon so I plan to get the next Macbook Pro.

I understand that the earliest USB 3.0 would be offered on a Macbook Pro probably wont be until next year. I would just hate to miss out on it because of 6 months....

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Incorrect. The MBPs lack the proper USB controller for 3.0.

3. JGuez thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response.

Therefore we must wait for Sandy Bridge?

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I think you probably misread the OP's post.

ExpressCards can interface either through the PCI bus or through USB. If a company decides to come out with an ExpressCard with USB 3.0 and the proper OS X drivers for it, USB 3.0 capabilities could be added to any Mac with an ExpressCard slot.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

win.

[​IMG]
    I am sooooo early adopting this. :D

Though apparently the Ex bus is crippled by barefeats findings, and they should have a review of the f!rst evar1!! expresscard solution from caldigit.

Btw, the Ex slot isn't coming back to the 15". Not enough consumer outcry. I've seen like short little threads relating to the lack of Ex, when we saw multi page threads about the lack of firewire. No one outside of power users and audio/video guys know how to utilize Ex. To the unwashed, it was a little flap door that held lunch money or notes from your girlfriend.

Edit: here's some more information snatched up by google cache. Apparently the original page is gone.... looks like it'll be around $100 which....it's not bad I guess. What we would spend on a decent eSATA setup.

6. JGuez thread starter macrumors member

Ah thanks. So I'm not crazy.

I see your logic, and understand why you're most likely going to end up being right, but I hope you're wrong.:D

I think there's a good chance Apple knows whether or not they will be supporting USB 3.0 within a years time, so I'm praying they throw us 15" Pro users an Ex slot this next refresh so we don't get screwed in 6 months. ;)

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Trust me, i've been using the expresscard slot for about 3 years now; it's truly an indispensable tool for me, even with the additional cost for some solutions. It's also the reason I opted for my current 17" uMBP, even though I was used to the traditional 15 inch size. With a little marketing and some killer apps that don't cost an arm and a leg, i'm sure Ex could become a household name, but at this point in the game, it's probably over, atleast for Apple. I'd put money on it that Apple will bring USB 3.0 native to the MBP before they'll add in Ex slots back. When that happens, what's the point ?
    I neglected to mention that not only is Ex not missed on the 15 and 13 inchers , but the current SD card is (seen as) a welcome edition for the ubiquitous college/high schooler/mom pop/prosumer (i.e. d90) segment. If we are to believe that Apple can't do both for space reasons well.....