ExpressCard 34 slot trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MotorcycleBetty, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MotorcycleBetty macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

2. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

I actually watched that video before I posted. I pushed quite a bit harder than what's shown there. It feels like it's up against something solid - zero give.

If I turn the card around and try to put it in backwards, it goes all the way in!

3. simsaladimbamba

Do you have a light, thus you could take a look inside the ExpressCard slot? Maybe something is inside?
    I have a Unibody MBP and can insert my ExpressCard quite easily.

4. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

I am not at home at the moment, but will shine a light inside once I get there. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

OK. I looked inside the slot, and with the exception of a little dust, which I blew out, it looked normal, as far as I can tell.

I tried inserting the card again. This time, when I hit the resistance, I pushed quite a bit more firmly. It SNAPPED past the resistance and into a small space where it moved about somewhat freely, but I could not get it to seat into the connection.

I had trouble getting the card back out - it didn't want to go past that "tight spot".

6. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

I find after trying a few more times to insert this card - and having it repeatedly hang about 2/3 of the way in - that when I examine the insertion end of the card, it's actually starting to get damaged by my insertion attempts.

The small damage, which wasn't there before, is on the top side, both leading edges. It's like it's being squished through a space that's slightly too small.

And where the connector is joined to the main body of the card looks relatively fragile, as if it could be pulled right off if too much pressure is applied in pulling it out.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

You say it goes all the way in when you insert it backwards. Do you mean upside down or with the card reader interface inside the computer? Have you tried inserting it upside down? Pardon my simplistic suggestion.

8. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

Yes, actually, I did try to insert it every which way, even though you'd think it's a no-brainer that the label goes up and eject arrow faces out...

I'm thinking perhaps there's a manufacturing error in this one card, and perhaps another card will slide right in.

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yeah, that really does seem peculiar. I would definitely contact the manufacturer and see if you can get an exchange. I would also try to get another ExpressCard device and see if that fits and works with the computer to make sure that it's not the slot that's defective... Best of luck!

10. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

It's on its way back to the vendor. Will consider a bit before replacement. Will post back if I re-order and solve or don't solve the issue.

Thanks!